It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

Loverbear HB User
I have CP and Im pregnant.

After yrs of trying to get pregnant, my fiance and I are now expecting. This is my first baby and I have a lot of questions. My dr. doesn't seem very forthcoming with information.
I am scared about having the baby naturally. I don't think I will be able to relax enough. But, I also know that having a c-section could be rough on me as well.
I am also very tired and I get tired really easy. If anyone could offer any advice I would be greatful. There isn't much infromation for woman with cp and pregnant.
Thank you.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
(female)

Malwm01 HB User
Re: I have CP and Im pregnant.

Hi Loverbear, welcome to the boards and congratulations!

I have yet to become pregnant so I can't offer advice. I just wanted to say that these boards are a little slow sometimes so it might take a bit for someone to come around and answer your questions but there are one or two ladies on here with CP who have successfully had children.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by Malwm01; 01-06-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: fixing typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

Loverbear HB User

Thank you for responding. I know when looking for information, it can sometimes take time. Seeing as I'm 14 weeks along, I still have time.
I thought I would never become pregnant. I thought it was just a fact of life for me. But, I started working out every day, taking vitamins, eating better and bam within 2 months I was pregnant. I didn't make the lifestyle change to get pregnant, I just wanted to feel better and lose some weight. I know with having CP, I have to keep my legs strong so I can go to school and after I get my degree, go to work.
Good things come to those who wait.
Anyway, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
(female)

Meshell027 HB User

Hi,

I have CP and just had a baby 2 months ago. I was lucky and delivered him naturally, even with no medications ! I am willing to be a friendly ear and will help with as many questions as I can. All I can say is no one knows your body and its capabilities more than you do so if you think you can do it naturally then go for it. If for some reason it ends up looking like you are having too hard of a time the doctors can intervine at anytime and give the C-section.

Good luck
Michelle

Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
(female)

SassySweet HB User

[I[QUOTE=Loverbear;3839889]After yrs of trying to get pregnant, my fiance and I are now expecting. This is my first baby and I have a lot of questions. My dr. doesn't seem very forthcoming with information.
I am scared about having the baby naturally. I don't think I will be able to relax enough. But, I also know that having a c-section could be rough on me as well.
I am also very tired and I get tired really easy. If anyone could offer any advice I would be greatful. There isn't much infromation for woman with cp and pregnant.
Thank you.[/QUOTE
[
[/I]

I have mild cp that effects my right side, and I can only tell you my experience.. I wanted to have Alyssa natural because I was stubborn (honestly I didn't want to take the chance of her having any issues because of medication, ect)
My water broke at 4:15 a.m. When I got to the hospital and settled they gave me potosin. After being stuck at 4cm for 4hrs I opted for a epidural, which (guessing) because of my cp only ended up numbing my left side. After what seemed like an eternity of labor, I had a beautiful baby girl . It took longer for me to recover feeling and mobility from the epi, but it was all worth it.. I also had my tubes tied afterward so I had some extra recovering to.. I kept the bassinet by my bed for the first few months and wheeled her around the house with me when I was getting tired of being in one room
I don't know if that help at all, but I'm a firm believer in mind over matter and that you can do anything you set your mind to. Congratulation!!!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
(female)

chely41673 HB User

Congratulations. Hi, I have CP also and I have two boys of my own, and enjoy your wonderful child, it will be hard at times, but when you look at your child's face you'll forget everything you had to deal with, just sit back and enjoy life with your child. I might know what you felt when you be came pregnet, but just focus on concentrating on your child.

I have a son that is 15 yrs old, and I had a rough time, but when he was born I felt everything was going to be alright. It is so rewarding knowing that he is turn into good person even though I was always told that I couldn't raise him because of CP, I am proving them wrong, because I have two boys that are healthy and normal. If I can do then anyone can do it too with a disability. I would love to hear from you.

The Following User Says Thank You to chely41673 For This Useful Post:
lovefaith (12-31-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
(female)

gracie10 HB User
Wink Re: I have CP and Im pregnant.

Hi Loverbear,

Congratulations on your future bundle of joy.

I have 3 beautiful darlings, ages 11, 9 & 6.They are healthy, energetic, amazing kids. Sorry, BRAG BRAG BRAG

Anyway,they were all delivered naturally without need for drugs or intervention.While I can not make any promises for your specific situation, the best advice I can give you is :
1. keep up regular exercise (modified by a professional to take your fitness level, specific limitations and pregnancy needs into account)adding swimming is great option & does wonders to minimize stress.
2. chooses an obgyn whose competency and opinions you absolutely trust, do not be afraid to shop around,different doctors different approaches makes all the difference
3. make sure your partner is comfortable with your doctor, your birthing options and choices and that he feels able to ask even the most embarrassing questions & speak up as your advocate without intimidation.

Lastly, listen to your body it will let you know what it needs, trust yourself, and enjoy this experience. Healthy, amazing children who thrive being raised by a mom with CP is very possible.

best of luck & congrats,
gracie10

Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
(female)

Aviaja HB User

Hello loverbear,

Congratulations on your pregnancy, it is so exciting, isn't it?
I am so glad that you bring up this issue, because i have been pondering for a while, just like you.
Numerous people, say that during the delivery they "had a rough time". What does that mean? More so than any other mother in excruciating pain?....i mean, is it because you tired too early or tensed up or?...

What about during the pregnancy, where you bedritten for the last couple of months, and what about afterwards? How waas your body then. Did you need some physio or?
I'm asking because i've been feeling a bit broody myself, for a while...

Old 10-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I have c/p and I have 3 girls very smart athlectic girls. They are women now and have kids of their own. I think like everyone else every pregancy is different. I was extremely nausea the whole time with each one and had to be induced each time but I had all of them nautral with no meds. But really each case with each person is different. The last pregnancy I developed toxcemia but I had a good Dr. that kept an eye on it. I also lost my first baby but I wasnt far along and I was very underweight I couldnt keep weight on because I kept throwing up. But please know every pregancy is different and I agree with a lot of other people find a good Dr. that you like and keep a postive attiude and you will see you will be so blessed I think people with c/p have an enter strenght in them we are strong people inside maybe not outside but inside we are. Please if you can keep us all posted on your pregnancy. And may God Bless you

Last edited by jgrangran; 10-08-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: mispelled words

Closed Thread