It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Improving Balance, How?

I think I need to start working on my balance. I am afraid though, of doing exercises alone only because I fear falling and breaking something! I'm 32.

I don't have much of an issue but I noticed lately that I'm tripping alot, especially around my house! I dont know what is wrong with me!

The other day I bought a 1.5 inch heel and I wore it okay, however, I feel very nervous to wear it for hours. Its actually a pair of boots and not shoes.

What can I do to improve balance? I am particularly afraid to walk with heels down a flight of stairs. Or just walking down a huge flight of stairs in general - my body just tenses. Any advice on how to improve balance....and feel relaxed in heels? Is it still heel-toe when walking with heels? I feel like I should just walk with the whole foot on the floor...but not as in stomping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
(female)

Malwm01 HB User
Re: Improving Balance, How?

Sorry, no advice about the heels.

My balance is absolutely horrible. There is no other word.

Maybe try getting a balance board?

Don't be afraid... really... I've learned that in the 3 years I've lived in my apartment. You just can't be afraid of things like falling. You just have to hope and pray when you fall you don't break anything or hit your head. (Seriously, that's my mentality.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
Re: Improving Balance, How?

I also have issues with my balance. My balance has been worse recently because I had knee surgery in September. I have fallen 6 times in the last 3 weeks, and I just broke my right hand.

The orthopedic surgeon who did my knee surgery specializes in CP. When I began falling a lot more 3 months after my surgery, I asked him if it was due to my surgery recovery or if it was CP related. He said he wasn't sure, and he wouldn't know for another 3 months. He said that CP doesn't get worse, but my balance over the last few years has been shaky to say the least. I can relate to your balance concerns, and I am 29.

As far as walking in heels, I think it is still heel-toe.

Closed Thread