It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
CP & Working In Retail

Due to the economy, I am finding it difficult to find a job like everyone else. I have a BA in business management, and for the last 5 years, I have been working in the family business which is a seasonal one.

Also, I just got my driver's license, but I do not have a car yet - I need it adaptable since I will be driving with my left leg.

For the time being, I thought about working at bloomingdales. My parents would be driving me to and fro.

I just want to know, how do I prepare myself, since I have cp, will it be difficult? I'm fullu functioning, but I get tense quite often so things like giving back change and the register would be a bit of an issue.

Or should I not consider it all together? What other things can I consider? I love design and I developed an educational coloring book for kids, and I am taking a course in graphic design in a few weeks, however, I am told postions in this field are slim next to none. I would like to publish my book, but for the time being, I need some cash flow...where should I look? This CP has held me back so many years, i can't afford to have it hold me back any longer.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
(male)

cpman76 HB User
Re: CP & Working In Retail

I have had spastic cp for 30 yr's since birth, I play guitar which is becoming a real problem, cause I woould really like to be able to play out in the community.

My question is: Is there help/treatment out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
(male)

miester HB User

CandP,

I work in a liquor Store and do pretty well. I have mild C.P. and do not find it to be to difficult. I would say 3/4 of the customers pay with credit cards anyways, so it makes it pretty easy. I some times drop change or have a few tremmers, but people understand. They don't make fun of me, They just have to be patient, and most times they are. I have also worked at Lowes and they really work to make you comfortable there. Great place to work. Most of the other workers are really helpful and they have a fun time. Made a few really good friends there.The only bad thing there is the schedule.(Evenings and weekends). With a wife and child it is hard to find alot of time all together at the same time. I really liked it there, but had a better offer at the liquor store because I knew the owner and he was more flexable with my sons schedule and it is closer to home. Hope this helps.

Karl

Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
(male)

cpman76 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miester View Post
CandP,

I work in a liquor Store and do pretty well. I have mild C.P. and do not find it to be to difficult. I would say 3/4 of the customers pay with credit cards anyways, so it makes it pretty easy. I some times drop change or have a few tremmers, but people understand. They don't make fun of me, They just have to be patient, and most times they are. I have also worked at Lowes and they really work to make you comfortable there. Great place to work. Most of the other workers are really helpful and they have a fun time. Made a few really good friends there.The only bad thing there is the schedule.(Evenings and weekends). With a wife and child it is hard to find alot of time all together at the same time. I really liked it there, but had a better offer at the liquor store because I knew the owner and he was more flexable with my sons schedule and it is closer to home. Hope this helps.

Karl

I have worked in retsil, I do hAVE spastic cp but unfortunqtly I issues with making change, allthough I do have a milf case of spastic cp But I get throgh simehow. And now unemployed it's getting much easier.
Ecryone has had theire scheduke cut eventhough You likie it at lows so much I guess You have to make a choice, continuing to have your hours cut, or jumping ship and staying at the liquor store, if it were me, I'd stay at the liquor store.

GOOD LUCK!!

AND HOPEFULLY THERE WILL BE A CURE SOMEDAY

Old 01-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

If the only reason you're reluctant is getting the change out/handling it (which I understand, the cafeteria where I'm at now doesn't take credit cards, so I have to pay with money every day and I hate it due to having to take change from the cashier!), then get a big pile of coins and practice picking them up. I know that I don't handle coins in the "typical" way (in the palm of the hand), I grasp/hold them in the tips of my fingers. Just find something that works for you. Like, maybe you can set the coins on the counter in front of the person when you're giving it out...and cup both hands when taking it then set it on the counter to put it away?

Closed Thread