It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 99
KellyCz HB User
CP and reflux

I was wondering how common reflux is in kids/adults with CP? I have spastic right sided hemiplegia, and my primary care doctor thinks I am refluxing because of problems with the muscles/nerves in the digestive tract due to the CP. I am an adult. I never had problems with reflux growing up, so why all of a sudden would I be having reflux problems attributed to my CP? I am being referred to GI for a second time to possibly have an endoscopy to see what exactly is going on. Thanks for any help you can give.

Kelly
__________________
*~*Kelly*~*

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 240
Malwm01 HB User
Re: CP and reflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCz View Post
I was wondering how common reflux is in kids/adults with CP? I have spastic right sided hemiplegia, and my primary care doctor thinks I am refluxing because of problems with the muscles/nerves in the digestive tract due to the CP. I am an adult. I never had problems with reflux growing up, so why all of a sudden would I be having reflux problems attributed to my CP? I am being referred to GI for a second time to possibly have an endoscopy to see what exactly is going on. Thanks for any help you can give.

Kelly
Kelly, I've heard that it's fairly common for people with CP to have, I don't know for sure, but that's what I've heard. I've ALWAYS had GERD, but whether or not it has anything to do with my CP I don't know because my mom has always had severe GERD, too.

If it's not something that runs in families, I'd blame my CP but if it is seen in families then I blame my mother, completely.

I'm sorry, I'm not much help...

Oh, I was in Jackson today, we ate lunch at Culver's and I totally thought of you when I got there.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 450
CandP HB User
Re: CP and reflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCz View Post
I was wondering how common reflux is in kids/adults with CP? I have spastic right sided hemiplegia, and my primary care doctor thinks I am refluxing because of problems with the muscles/nerves in the digestive tract due to the CP. I am an adult. I never had problems with reflux growing up, so why all of a sudden would I be having reflux problems attributed to my CP? I am being referred to GI for a second time to possibly have an endoscopy to see what exactly is going on. Thanks for any help you can give.

Kelly
Hi Kelly,

I'm glad you posted because I think we are both in the same boat here! The only test I have done is a barium swallow, and from what i understand, it is a test that shows if you have any swallowing issues. Just like you, my swallowing/reflux if I can call it reflux, came about all so suddenly. Anyway, it was indicated that the barium test came out normal as the doc was even reassuring me during the procedure.


This was last summer, in 2007. Now, i still struggle with fears of choking and i had to curb my diet quite a bit, much to my reluctance, only b/c I would choke on things that i once ate without problem. As far as reflux, I noticed very few foods would bring on a sensation - like penne vodka.
I would eat that, no problem, but know i feel it gets stuck. I avoid anything and everything fried - ex, veg. fried rice even brought on a choking feeling, however, i then realized that's what reflux does and I had felt it right after eating veg fried rice, so i avoid it now.

Even orange juice brings upon a reflux feeling but luckily not all the time so i manage to drink it.

Since it came on suddenly, was your tongue ever an issue? I mean, can there be a possiblity that are tongues weaken? I have very minor cp, and I do not believe i have an official diangosis, but my papers say "cerebral hypoxia," as I was born fine but suffered lack of oxygen a day after birth due to sufficating. My problem is that I tense too much & voice/speech affected as I am a shallow breather.

So, maybe it is our muscles tensing that may make swallowing difficult? I have no idea. I just want to go back to eating my pizzas and steaks as I once did. I wonder if you and I are suffering the same thing, and what can be done about it.

Last edited by CandP; 01-26-2009 at 06:21 PM.

 
Old 01-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 450
CandP HB User
Re: CP and reflux

I also wanted to add that pills have been a problem, & I'm thinking it was b/c of my tensing. Also, there are times that, even water, it feels like it goes down as I am drinking rocks! I was told that is all tension related, have you felt it too?

 
Old 01-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 99
KellyCz HB User
Re: CP and reflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandP View Post
I also wanted to add that pills have been a problem, & I'm thinking it was b/c of my tensing. Also, there are times that, even water, it feels like it goes down as I am drinking rocks! I was told that is all tension related, have you felt it too?
I sure have felt that feeling. It HURTS. The thing with me, is that everything, just about anyway, gives me heartburn and reflux. I had my gall bladder out last June, and I have heard that reflux can be bad following the surgery. I am anxious to find out what the heck is actually going on, because I am quite tired of soups and the like. That is virtually all I can eat without major problems. After I swallow my pills, although they go "down" I feel as if there's a lump in my throat sometimes. It does sound as though our situations are similar. I'll definitely post about anything that I find out.

Kelly
__________________
*~*Kelly*~*

 
Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 450
CandP HB User
Re: CP and reflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCz View Post
I sure have felt that feeling. It HURTS. The thing with me, is that everything, just about anyway, gives me heartburn and reflux. I had my gall bladder out last June, and I have heard that reflux can be bad following the surgery. I am anxious to find out what the heck is actually going on, because I am quite tired of soups and the like. That is virtually all I can eat without major problems. After I swallow my pills, although they go "down" I feel as if there's a lump in my throat sometimes. It does sound as though our situations are similar. I'll definitely post about anything that I find out.

Kelly
Just curious, have you asked a doctor about that feeling?
I wonder if it can be helped or eliminated somehow.
I don't know if you might know this but gallbladder surgery may cause acid reflux, or of that nature. If you haven't already, check out the "acid reflux" page on this board. It might help you.
I understand about the pills - I always thought that lump feeling was due to tension. If you can, can you ask your doctor is our cp weakens our tongue as we get older? I am 32 and like i've said, never had i had this problem. I had choked on tough things like steak when I was younger, but never consistantly. I wonder how much an effect tensing has on our body in time...

 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 99
KellyCz HB User
Re: CP and reflux

Hi CandP,
I have an endoscopy scheduled for 2/18. I did not know gall bladder removal could cause reflux to get worse (I have had reflux since before surgery, so I don't know if that is what is causing the problems now) Thanks for mentioning that though, I will bring it up to my doc. I will post after the scope. Thanks for your help.
Kelly
__________________
*~*Kelly*~*

 
Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 450
CandP HB User
Re: CP and reflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCz View Post
Hi CandP,
I have an endoscopy scheduled for 2/18. I did not know gall bladder removal could cause reflux to get worse (I have had reflux since before surgery, so I don't know if that is what is causing the problems now) Thanks for mentioning that though, I will bring it up to my doc. I will post after the scope. Thanks for your help.
Kelly
Hi Kelly,
I hope everything comes out negative and okay. Thanks for your post - it helped me out too. I look forward to a positive update

 
Old 05-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 41
WMCR2001 HB User
Re: CP and reflux

My hubby has Acid Reflux, too. Sometimes, although rarely, he will get heartburn. What's far worse for him is his cough that he tends to get lying down. We think it's mostly mucus-based. If I use a tongue scraper on his tongue, it cleans it off and then it's less of a problem, we've discovered. Also, he does have occasional, albeit rare, bouts of gagging on his food. His mom used to freak out and call 911, but in fact, he is always able to work it out. We think that is also related to mucus, as well as the type of food, the sized pieces it's cut into, and how tired he is. He doesn't chew as well when he's exhausted.

He tends to like pasta more than anything, so this is not too common for him.


Christina

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Has anyone had acid reflux while being Vitamin D deficient? aprilraincaleb Vitamins & Supplements 11 08-23-2010 11:44 PM
Question for women with acid reflux Hamilton92 Acid Reflux / GERD 3 04-23-2010 03:38 PM
Reflux Nights night skies Acid Reflux / GERD 5 07-15-2009 07:02 PM
I Hope this is Acid Reflux because I'm scared.... izabelle Acid Reflux / GERD 11 05-06-2009 10:37 PM
Asthma and reflux. Thunderduck Asthma 6 03-28-2009 01:43 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!