It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

Leaciesmum HB User
The Hart Walker program

Hi there, just wondering if anyone here has used or is using the Hart Walking frame? My daughter has just been assessed as a good candidate for the program, and I really like the idea of it being a 'hands free' walker. I'm not sure what the cost's in other countries are but in Australia it's a total cost of almost $12,000. Lucky for us the funds can be raised and supplied by charities.

I'd just like to know what others who have used/are using think of it overall. Are they more problem than their worth, or do the benifits outweigh the hassles of the strapping in?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
(female)

jackshomes HB User
Wink Re: The Hart Walker program

Yes my 4 1/2 uses a Hart Walker. We certainly use it as part of her therapy and yes it does give her the opportunity to walk hands free. It is lovely seeing the children in an upright position and self propelling, and the Hart Walker has already given us a lot of lovely memories as well as good exercise for her. We have found it unrealistic to get into it every day but it is a useful tool for us and gives her opportunities for standing safely on her own, using her hands and arms without having to worry about holding herself up, building her endurance and sense of independance etc among other things.
It is a bit of work strapping in etc, but you get pretty good at it, and we are lucky our daughter is very tollerant! I think for us we have found it a valuable tool with its uses and benefits. I think it is important to note that it is not a fully independant thing though as she can only go straight ahead and cannot steer it to just walk around if you know what I mean?? and then it depends on the kids and how you want to use it, what you set up for them to do in it etc etc etc - like any other piece of equipment really. We certainly wouldnt part with ours though!!!
Talk to the people in the program and be realistic is my best advice. I had people telling me that the kids should be in them for a few hours every day and THAT is just not realistic for us. But it certainly plays an important part of our lives.
Good luck and if you go that way, I hope you get as much positive benefit from it as we have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread