It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

WMCR2001 HB User
Has Anyone with CP Ever Successfully Adopted a Child?

My dh has spastic quadriplegia. We're trying to adopt. However, much of the literature I've read on adoption is confusing when it comes to criteria. They say you have to have no major health problems, and while my husband is mostly healthy (except for his CP and Acid Reflux), we're worried we won't be able to adopt because he's in a wheelchair and has some physical limitations. Obviously, we won't be able to leave him home alone with an infant for a long period of time because he won't be able to change its diaper or feed it a bottle without support. But otherwise, I know he'd make a really wonderful dad.

Sometimes it's frustrating to be so "different" in that my dh and I are such trailblazers. We just don't know what society will say or how people will react. So, if you've been able to adopt with CP, especially with a more moderate form and greater physical limitations, please let us know. It would be a huge comfort while we wait for news about our adoption paperwork!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
(female)

WMCR2001 HB User
Re: Has Anyone with CP Ever Successfully Adopted a Child?

It's been ten months since I posted this message, and I have GREAT NEWS!! DH and I were approved to adopt an infant! We are THRILLED!! We will post updates as they come. We expect it will be a long wait, but we will let you know when things happen--just so others will know, you CAN adopt if you have spastic quadriplegia!!

Christina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User
Smile Re: Has Anyone with CP Ever Successfully Adopted a Child?

I am so pleased you put that up. My son is 2 with sapstic diaplegia, and he doesn'twalk. I worry so much about his future and him doing 'normal' things like marrying and having children. Its great to hear that its all going well for you. I will be praying for you too, you have given me such hope and happyness regarding my boys future. Thank you

Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
(female)

Aviaja HB User

How wonderful. Stories like these gives us all hope

Old 11-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
(female)

MysticFishooks HB User

I have to say, I was just generally browsing the internet for school stuff and came across your post and signed up for this site specifically so I can post a reply.

My boyfriend, who I have every intention of staying with for a long time also has spastic quadriplegic CP, and is dependent for most things. Long before I met him, I have always dreamed of adopting children, and he shares this dream with me (i don't know if we will have any infertility issues, I have just always wanted to adopt). We have discussed the barriers we may face, but we are also big social justice/human rights people so know we would fight for it to the absolute end.

I read your original question, and was going to respond just to that, telling you to fight for your human rights as parents, and prove (although you should not have to) that your husband can be a fantastic parent (probably better than many able bodied parents out there).

Reading your update gave me an exhilarating sense of joy and hope. Maybe this is not something we will have to fight for, maybe it will be easier than I originally though. Maybe, just maybe, the world is starting to see that individuals with significant disabilities have incredible strengths and capabilities and can be partners and parents and many other things as well.

Thank you, thank you for sharing this with everyone. I hope I will be making a similar post in the future some day. Good luck getting that lucky child!

Closed Thread