It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

dorm7guard HB User
Has anyone heard of a person having mild CP?

At times people think that person is intoxicated, where that person doesn't even drink. They have a limp and is sometimes off balance. They have digestive, intestinal problems...that started early on, through their teens and it has continued all their life. No matter what they do, the intestinal problems won't go away. Their speech isn't good many times, and they really don't take an interest in what the other person is doing....they aren't nosy at all. Growing up, they were "shy"; but really nowadays it would be classified as somewhat autistic. They have allergies, and most of the time, their nose constantly runs. They went through birth trauma; being born with the umbilical cord wrapped around their neck and born breech. I do believe they "feel' more emotionally, and that they get more tired just doing certain activities than the "normal" (person without mild CP) does. They get strength, both physical and emotional strength, just being and living alone. They prefer to be alone, because they feel stronger.
Does anyone at all know what I am writing about? I was wondering if anyone knows, for sure, if all the above symptoms would be classified as a mild form of CP?
dorm7guard

Old 08-13-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
(female)

sandy028601 HB User
Re: Has anyone heard of a person having mild CP?

hi my name is sandy lovejoy, im kinda new here, i like to anwsered that
most people can have mild cerebal palsy, i have a cousin who has mild form of it , i think its depends on the medical info whether it can be found on the net, or by a doctor i was dianoised with lefty cerebal palsy after 6 months of age. from what my mother saids the doctor said basically told her baby wont have a normal life he told her that i wouldn't know who my parents are i would be blind deaf and that i probably wont lived, how can you tell anyone that? just by looking at the patient today im a happy healthy well adjusted 49 yr old who can do every normal thing there is although my main concern right now is having pain in my left arm it feels heavy and tight i know it not a heart attack,
sandy

Last edited by sandy028601; 08-13-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
(female)

Deborah7 HB User

hello, my name is deborah. i have mild cp. but i walk with crutches and i almost alive normwl life . but there are somethings that i can't do for myself. the doctor told my parents somethings like that to sandy. by the way, welcome aboard sandy.

sincerely,
deborah

Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

You cannot know for sure if it's CP without seeing a doctor--a neurologist can diagnose using a CT Scan (or MRI, I'm not sure) to see the brain.

CP is caused by brain damage before/during/after birth that always affects one's muscles, and can cause other symptoms as well depending on the part of the brain that is affected. So the birth history you describe would be consistent with this, as are the limp/speech/tiredness/balance problems. (However, balance problems could also be caused by something else, like ear issues or problems with the cerebellum part of the brain.)

As far as the autism-like symptoms, I suppose it's possible that the brain damage that caused CP could have also led to autism. However, it's also possible that this, and the digestive problems, are just coincidence--people with CP have other health problems like anyone else. It may also be that the person is extremely introverted, having nothing to do with a medical problem.

So, like I said, the next step would be to find a neurologist (preferably a pediatric one, if possible, as they're usually most experienced with CP) and describe all the symptoms to him/her, and get a brain scan. Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
(female)

powerchick HB User

My name is Casey, I'm 23 and I have mild CP. I was born at 24 weeks. I walk fine but I've to be put in special ed. all through school.

Last edited by powerchick; 08-21-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
(female)

KellyCz HB User

Hi, my name is Kelly, I am 27 and I have mild CP. I was born 2 months early on August 22, 1982 after my mom's placenta ruptured. My CP is on the right side, although as I have gotten older, it affects me more than it used to. A lot of people actually report that as they age.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
(female)

FRA628 HB User

Hi, my son was dx at 1.5yr with mild-moderate CP, Quad mainly on right side with behavioral problems. He started walking indep right before he turned 2yr, it was on Fathers Day to be exact. I put him in Early Intervention ASAP even before he was dx cuz we knew something was wrong. I had a normal pregnancy 40wks, vaginal delivery, APGARS were 999. He was 8.5lbs 22.5in long, a perfect little boy up until 1yr old. Things just didn't seem right. He wasn't doing what a 1yr old should be doing. The Dr. said he had Autism, but I didn't believe that, so I asked one of his therapists who I can get a proper dx. The set me up with another hospital that had a team of Doctors and therapists who spent some time with him and came to the conclusion he had mild-moderate CP. I was shocked to learn that. I was ignorant to the disorder and thought that people with CP couldn't walk, confined to a wheelchair, their bones were deformed, etc. I didn't realize that there are different spectrums of CP. I was still confused because I didn't know how he got it. I was in a car accident at 7m pregnent, went into preterm labor, but it stopped and all was fine they said. At birth the cord was wrapped around his neck, but he was ok it wasn't tight. The placenta was fine. I had him put through a ton of tests and an MRI and a CT. They couldn't find where the damage was. I think that's what bothers me the most, is that I don't know how this happened.
He is in school now and loves it. He is 4 and this is his 2nd yr in early childhood schooling. I have seen some improvements in him, but he still isn't talking and that is very hard. He gets frustrated and so do I. He slaps himself constantly and bangs his head on the ground. The slapping is now getting out of control. I don't know how to deal with it. He does it for no reason, just cuz you walk into the rm or ask a question. I would like to know if there any other moms out there who have or are going through the same thing I am and what or if any advice they can give me. Or if there is anyone out there who is now older and has gone through the same thing.
Thanks, FRA628

Last edited by FRA628; 09-23-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

FRA628,

The slapping sounds like something that a lot of children with autism do--I would look into it more since your son was "diagnosed" with it initially. Does he make eye contact, attempt any sounds, or use gestures? How about any strange food/touch aversions, or restricted interests? Like CP, there's also a range of severity with autism as well...I'd assume he's getting speech therapy in early intervention, though, so they probably already looked into autism.

He could also have apraxia, which means problems sending messages to the muscles for speech (different/separate from CP). Can he do things like blow bubbles/pucker his lips? In any event, he's probably frustrated like you said.

Well good luck, I hope you get some answers!

Closed Thread