It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Suggestions to develop strength in grasping?

Can anyone suggests how to develp strength in the hand/palm/fingers? Enough so that things like pegboards and placing pegs/items in the approriate holes becomes more controlled. The last two fingers are the most inflexable as they open/close together? Any suggestions to improve flexability?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
(female)

bubby1609 HB User
Re: Suggestions to develop strength in grasping?

any squeezing motion helps my son uses a soft small ball he has very poor grasp but this seems to help relieve his frustrations before he tries to do something he has very poor fine motor skills

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

nwmom HB User

Noah's OT gave us a whole list of finger strengthening exercises using putty (that kind of putty you seem to have to get through therapists--stronger than playdo and not stinky like silly putty). Sticking straight fingers through it, squeezing it with curved fingers & smashing it with straight fingers...things like that. Seems to have helped him a lot in his handwriting and food package opening skills.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
(male)

pordan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandP View Post
Can anyone suggests how to develp strength in the hand/palm/fingers? Enough so that things like pegboards and placing pegs/items in the approriate holes becomes more controlled. The last two fingers are the most inflexable as they open/close together? Any suggestions to improve flexability?
Hi. the problem could be sensory in nature. If we don't perceive the world as it is, then we will not react to it appropriately. It could be that if you supply sensory stimulation to his hands then in time they might start to function more effectively. I see many children with this problem. Try brushing his hands several times per day for a minute or two.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
(male)

niknik600 HB User

Please check his shoulder muscle power.Its the shoulder that decides the co-ordination of fine motor activity .trying activities on a board on the wall is one of good exercises to strengthen the shoulder muscles for sustained fine motor controlled activities.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

Thank you all for the responses. With regards to the shoulder, I did not know that a weak one at that has influence on fine motor.

I'm speaking about the right hand specifically. I think that the wrist is also very weak, in the sense that weighted items (such as bags or even a full cup) makes the wrist turn down. Is it also important to strengthen the wrist first? Also as I've said, it is a bit difficult to opem or separate the last two fingers, so would you say things like squeezing balls at the best? I find that play-doh works the hand quite a bit, after just squeeze it for about 10 -15 minutes.

Closed Thread