It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

bubby1609 HB User
Angry severe hip pain

my son had major surgery to correct hip joint hip was coming out of socket an causing him severe pain was told this was the best way to go.after a full year {got op last jan.}hes still in severe pain an now cannot straighten his leg at all.have been advised about an injection into the hip under anest.but am seriously worried i will put him througth this trauma again an it wont work!any suggestions?its breaking my heart to see him in so much pain.am so confused by the differing opions:

Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
(female)

gracie10 HB User
Re: severe hip pain

Dear Buddy,

How old is your son?
How long did they use a standard cast to keep him immobilized?
How often does your son receive physical therapy?
Is the pain in the pelvic socket itself or in the surrounding muscles?

I am 39 years old now so it has been some years since I had this procedure. However, if your son is young enough (still developing into his adolescence) the speed at which his bones and muscles are trying to develop combined with a lack of movement and regular stretching (caused by the immobilization of casting) could certainly have inhibited his muscles' ability to stretch the full length of his growing bones, thus not making it possible for him to stand upright when the casts were removed. And, of course, causing the subsequent pain.

Because I am a patient and not a doctor, if the above explanation does in fact fit with your son's situation, I would suggest you consider asking your doctors and care providers if some regular hot tub therapy and splint stretching could be used to your son's benefit, before or in conjunction with the more invasive procedure. Also, you may want to consider asking them if they see any indication of twisting of the femur as a result of his recovery issues. This will do two things: it will serve to let them know to what degree you expect to be informed of his condition & their specific answer will give you a jumping off point for what to expect their next treatment recommendations to be.

Best of luck,
gracie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
(female)

bubby1609 HB User

hi thanks for your reply paul is 16 nxt month,he was only in the cst for 4wks as he couldnt tolerate it,he gets physio twice a week although she has managed to do any proper stretches with him since november last due to the pain it causes him,hes growing at a rate of knots,so hes probably stretching the muscle to there limits.he was getting hydro every week but have stopped that due to recurring chest infection due to this awful weather i feel its far to cold at night to be taking home after such a warm environment,which the physio agrees with.we have a meeting with his surgeon on the 25th of this month so will ask that specific question.thanks,hopefully we will get this sorted out asp as this does really break my heart ,hes such a wonderful boy and rarely complains so i know when he does he must be in agony.I will let you know how we get on.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

gracie10 HB User

Hi Buddy,

Was thinking about your predicament with the infection and inablity to be stretching at the moment... This idea is not a cure for the overall situation but, depending on your ability and resource the following may help with his comfort: If he is able to use your bathtub at home (assuming you don't just have a walk in shower) you can mimic the hydrotherapy by using a removeable shower head in a relatively full tub. Afer doing so lay him down on towels that have been warmed on a rediator or in a dryer etc. and massage the areas in pain with warmed lotion for ten minutes or so. If you do have just a walk-in shower, try putting the shower head right up to the pelvic area. If you are relying on sponge baths due to his mobility and/or infection try standard hot compresses(as hot as he will tolerate without burning) before the massage. I lived in the cold winters of Massachusetts up until this year and found this to be quite useful a tool.

I hope it is of some help to you.
Best of luck,
gracie

Closed Thread