It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
(female)

open_the_door HB User
Anyone had a phenol block?

Has anyone had a phenol block? My son had it injected into his adductors so that he won't scissor as much, plus we can have more botox put into the hamstrings and gastrocs end of this month. That is why we had the doctor do the phenol block into the adductors today.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
(female)

Leaciesmum HB User
Re: Anyone had a phenol block?

Hi there, my girl had a phenol block done when she had her adductor release 14mths ago. I had my worries after researching it on the internet but the doc allayed my fears explaining that they no longer use the same strengths as they did years ago (that caused all the problems), and that they were much longer lasting than botox. I also researched my Orthopedic surgeon and found that he was one of the leading surgeons in the world and the pioneer of introducing botox in Australia. This was also a great relief.

I was very worried after her broomstick plaster came off because her legs were so floppy but they gradually got some strength back and she's come such a long way since having it done. I have noticed that she is starting to get a bit tight in her adductors again though and they did tell me they would repair themselves and tighten up again and that she'd probably need the porcedure again in the future. The walking frame she uses (David Hart Walker) keeps her feets apart and her gait as normal as possible luckilly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

NonieAnne HB User
Re: Anyone had a phenol block?

Our daughter had phenol blocks and is now getting botox injections every 3 months. When these technologies first came out, we had serious reservations. As she grew more involved with the spasticity and athetosis, we came to appreciate every bit of help she could get to relieve the muscles. There is so much more pain involved with bones growing out of joints and muscles shortening than anyone can imagine. We went for too many years in "assisted living" where the answer seemed to be throw another drug into her instead of solving the problem. Phenol blocks and botox injections would have been so much better than antidepressants and psychotropics.
Listen to what your child is telling you with the symptoms and find an excellent neurologist who will listen to you.

Closed Thread