It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
(male)

viper1965 HB User
Question Looking for information on the baclofen pump

Hi,

I am 44, and have spastic CP. My spasticity is pretty bad. I have always had speech problems, but they are worse now. I'm in an electric wheelchair.

I've been on Valium for most of my life, and while it keeps the pain from the tightness away, it's not helping much with the spasticity.

My spasticity doctor is recommending the baclofen pump. I have some worries about it. They put something into your spine - isn't that dangerous? I don't want to be paralyzed on top of the CP if someone's hand slips! Seriously, isn't that dangerous?

I was on the oral baclofen, and it knocked me out. Would the pump do the same thing? I knew a guy in college who had CP and the pump, and he said they couldn't get it where it would help without knocking him out. Is this common?

Thank you for any info,

Ralph

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
(female)

alwaysbelieve HB User
Re: Looking for information on the baclofen pump

Just found this site. If you still have questions, please contact me. My son had the baclofen pump...very successful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
(male)

estavares HB User

Our daughter has the Baclofen Pump; overall it is very helpful to manage her spasticity. The pump is about the size of a hockey puck and is under the skin near the stomach. The tube is threaded around the inside of the body to the spine. We noticed a big difference compared to oral medication.

The one downside is that the first pump we had inserted failed to work very well, so she needed a replacement within a year. It does require surgery. There was no concern of paralysis, as far as I know, as the spine is only touched by a very small tube. The pump is refilled through the skin and can be programmed to deliver medicine exactly when you need it (more at night, for example).

Our daughter was so stiff much of the day she could do little for herself. Now her arms move more naturally, her legs are a little softer, and she can use switches and bring things to her mouth which, for her, was a big win. The benefit for her was more with the upper half of her body, but often that's based on where the tube is placed in your spine.

I would recommend it, but take the time to research to see if it's right for you. Good luck!

Last edited by estavares; 01-29-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
(male)

dustinb85 HB User

I have the pump and I can't tell that much of a diffrence yet and I have been getting the dosage adjust a lot. Any advice?

Closed Thread