It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Controlling Facial Movements - Please can someone advise me? Know tips??

Those of you who have read my posts before, know that I have very mild CP. I just tense more than the others, as in when I'm in public carrying a tray, a cup...that sort of thing.

Anyway, I do have, also, some speech issues. I'm very audible, nonetheless, but according to a past speech therapist, I am a shallow breather and don't use belly breathing to project my voice & sound clearer, louder, those sorts.

I also suffer from, I guess, a bit of a lack of control of my mouth muscles. When you see able-bodied people talk, you see that they're upper lip does not move. Well, my upper lip moves/wrinkles more than others. Also, I cannot whistle (I dont know if other CPers cannot whistle) and according to that speech therapist she told me that my upper lip is weak to the point where the bottom lip "over-compansates" or moves more to adjust or "help" the upper lip work more.

I think this might sound a bit complicated but it's really not. I just want to know...any advice on how to NOT make my lips/mouth move more than it must? Does anyone relate to this problem??

I also wanted to add/mention, with regaqrd to controlling movements, I meant things like producing a natural smile, for example, and basically improve lip control. I'm also asking parents of kids with CP - what do their therapist say?

Last edited by CandP; 03-16-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Closed Thread