It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

Babyluv26 HB User
Femoral osteotomy?

Hi, i was wondering if anyone or their child has had a femorL osteotomy? What can you tell me about it? My 5 year old with CP is scheduled to have one next week.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
(female)

RoboBrittany007 HB User
Re: Femoral osteotomy?

I had a tibial-fibial osteotomy in May. I don't know how extensive your child's is, but mine was to both legs and quite extensive. First they said 4-6 months for my recovery, now they say 6-9. Here's what I know so far: I've been off my feet for two months and presumably maybe even longer, so my muscles are atrophying quite a bit. Also, there will be a lot of discomfort and swelling in the operated regions. I'm only now starting to feel comfortable, and even now I still have pain in some areas. It will be a long and uncomfortable recovery, depending on the extent of surgery - you'll need a lot of patience. Vitamin supplements help - I have been taking a calcium supplement and extra vitamin C - as does Motrin or Aleve, but it will take time and experimenting to see what helps your child the most.

I wish you the best of luck. I certainly wish I had been better prepared for my surgery before I had it - two months out and I still am having second thoughts. I just hope it will be all worth it for me (and your child) at the end of the road.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

mlpb HB User

Hi -
My 6 yr old son had his femoral osteotomy on June 15. How is your son doing? We are struggling tremendously every night with this...he is totally miserable from about 11 pm - 4 am. We are all up and trying to help him. Pain isn't the issue I don't think b/c no matter the amount of meds or which I give him, it's not stopping. Just curious to see if your son has had anything similar?

Thanks!!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
(female)

Babyluv26 HB User

Hi, my son had his surgery may 27. He is doing well, just started beating weight and PT last week. He lost alot of weight and muscle and is very weak, but he is not complaining of any discomfort anymore. I certainly hope this is not because he has a high tolerance for pain- which he does.
The first 2 weeks after surgery were th worst. His legs are now very straight, but I hate the scars. I hope an pray this will help him, robbrittany, and your son in the long run.
Is he still having pain at night or spasms?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
(female)

nwmom HB User

We are considering this for our 7-year old son per a doctor's recommendation, but I'm still unclear of the benefit it will have for Noah. Do most people do this surgery to take the stress off of the knees from the internal rotation?

Last edited by nwmom; 07-29-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
(female)

Babyluv26 HB User

Hi, we opted for the surgery for our son because he was knocking knees while walking on his walker and tripping on his in-toeing feet. Also we were told that this surgery would give him a better chance of walking independently, and also for self esteem as far as cosmetics of the legs. I also wanted him to have the chance to ride a bike again, his legs were turning in and making this impossible. I guess every case and child is different and you must weigh the pros and cons. Good luck, it is a difficult decision.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
(female)

KarimsMUM HB User

So glad there is a thread on this. Our 6yo has just seen ortho and will undergo bilateral femoral osteotomy as soon as booking allows, am hoping for this year but have to wait for the date. His degree of internal rotation is between 60-70.

Closed Thread