It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

nwmom HB User
Opinions on 3-wheel bikes

Does anyone out there ever use a 3-wheel bicycle? Noah has a two-wheel withi training wheels, but we're looking into the 3-wheel option so that he can ride it for longer distances and on paved bike trails. One thing we're wondering is if it can fit on a regular bike rack or if you need to get some kind of adaptor or something.
Thanks,
nwmom

Old 07-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
(female)

Malwm01 HB User
Re: Opinions on 3-wheel bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmom View Post
Does anyone out there ever use a 3-wheel bicycle? Noah has a two-wheel withi training wheels, but we're looking into the 3-wheel option so that he can ride it for longer distances and on paved bike trails. One thing we're wondering is if it can fit on a regular bike rack or if you need to get some kind of adaptor or something.
Thanks,
nwmom
Mind you this is what I remember from nearly 20 years ago before my bike was stolen as a teen. I had a giant Huffy tricycle with a basket between the rear tires, probably made no later than the early 80s as it was in quite a state before it was restored in the early 90s. It did not fit on a regular bike rack and my dad lugged it around on a trailer (his own multi-purpose one). I have no idea if the bike would have fit on some other adapter or if one exists now that didn't before. Also, there are many different styles of tricycles now than I would have had access to back then.

Do you have a quality bike shop near you? They might be able to help. If not I would use the yellow pages online and just call up someone that is listed (even if they are not local). Someone with more knowledge of bikes than I have has to be able to help.

I actually saw a very cool recumbent trike on The Price is Right awhile ago and thought about seeing if I could find out more information about it. In this day and age you can find things in the most unexpected places.

Also, and this is just a random thought but a Children's Miracle Network affiliated hospital near me has an annual Bike Day for presenting specialized bikes to children who wouldn't be able to ride a normal bicycle and if all else fails you could see if you have a similar bike program in your area and call them with questions. I would hope they might know.

Good Luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
(female)

nwmom HB User

Thanks--I'll definitely check into some of the things you mentioned!

Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
(female)

annie7777 HB User

My son has a 2 wheel bike that was adapted with 2 fat tire wheels. The name of the store is the Bike Rack in St. Charles IL, the owner also has a business Creative Mobility. They may have knowledge of a shop near to you that can help with modification. Aidan's bike is fantastic, they thought of everything and even taught him how to get on his bike independently. They modified it very carefully and thoughtfully and now he loves bike riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmom View Post
Thanks,
nwmom

Old 07-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
(female)

jammyslisa HB User

Rifton has a trike the Ranger. You can adapt it in a lot of ways, low back, high back, straps for the feet and it has a seat belt as well. I have used one for many years in my classroom for a variety of students with a variety of special needs. It is a very sturdy bike, although I don't know how it would fit on a bike rack.
Lisa

Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
(female)

nwmom HB User

Thanks for the idea--do you know what size tires they used or what they called the tires?
nwmom

Closed Thread