It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
(female)

KellyCz HB User
Hemiplegic CP and odd sensations on the affected side

Hi all,
I am a 27 year old woman with mild cerebral palsy on the right side of my body. For a few years, I have, at different times, felt odd sensations on my right side. It would best be described as a feeling of my skin "crawling." I have disc issues in my lumbar spine from a fall that fractured my tailbone (3 years ago this past May.) I have had multiple EMG's to test for neuropathy because of complaints to my doctor, all of which have come back essentially normal. The last one showed one spot where the nerve signals were slightly decreased, but not enough to diagnose a true neuropathy. I have recently been told by a physical therapist that people with CP can experience abnormal sensations in affected limbs. I have never heard this...does anyone know if this is in fact related? I plan to tell my doctor, as it has been happening more frequently recently, but if anyone has any experiences they'd be willing to share, that'd be great. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
(female)

Strawberry1 HB User
Re: Hemiplegic CP and odd sensations on the affected side

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCz View Post
I have recently been told by a physical therapist that people with CP can experience abnormal sensations in affected limbs. I have never heard this...does anyone know if this is in fact related?
I have mild right-side hemi too (I'm 39 yrs old), and I've noticed that my affected side is more prone to "funny things" from time to time. (Though not as often or as strongly as in your case maybe). My sense of touch is weaker on the right side, on the other hand my right side is more sensitive to pain and coldness.

But do see a doctor if those sensations seem to come more frequently than before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

Hi,
In doing research for my sons Diaplegic CP I met with a lad who also had diaplegic CP. I asked him how he found PT. The sensations you describe in your post is what he said he felt. He said that he got them in his legs fairly often, especally when he had done physical exercise. He said he always felt that way.
If the sensations are a new thing, considering your age (not that your old, just had time to know your CP!) and the fact that CP is a life long thing, you should definatly get your doctors opinion on it.
If your tests are coming back within a normal range, great but keep an eye would be my opinion. We always write our sons changes down and see if we can see a pattern.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
(female)

KellyCz HB User

Thank you for the replies. My doctor keeps a close eye on me as I have a lot of different medical problems so I'm sure if they become more bothersome than they are now, and I complain to her again, they will certainly be addressed, as they have been. I feel better, though, knowing that it is not that abnormal.

Last edited by KellyCz; 08-08-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Closed Thread