It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
(female)

WolfSpiritWalk HB User
Tendon Problems need advice

Hi, I am a 40 year old female with CP. I do not know what type of CP because my parents quit taking me to doctors when I was 5 years old. At that time my doctors wanted me to have surgery to lengthen my achilles tendon. Out of fear and ignorance my parents stopped taking me to my doctors and threw my braces out. Now years later my health issues are getting much worse. I am falling more and having more pain when I walk.
The doctor I went to last Thursday recommended I have surgery for:
Achilles Tendon Lengthening
Toe Flexor Release
Split Anterior Tibias Tendon Transfer
and Extensor Tendon Big Toe
OK, now for my questions. I looked all of these procedures online and saw where there are great results in these surgeries with CHILDREN.
I also saw where they worked pretty well with adults who had just had a stroke or injury to cause these problems.
My concern is that I didn't read anything on the success of these surgeries in ADULTS who had had these problems for most of their lives or from birth.
Do any of you know the pros and cons of having these surgeries after so many years? Granted I do not particularly want to wind up in a chair if I do not have to, but I also do not want to withstand these surgeries with their very long recovery periods if I am still going to wind up in a chair within a year or so. So please let me know what you think about this issue. < edited >
Brightest Blessings, Rhonda

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-06-2010 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Please don't post contact information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
Re: Tendon Problems need advice

My first thought is that the results would only be better in an adult because you're not dealing with growth that could occur after surgery. Your biggest challenge would be maintaining length after the surgery via bracing/night sllinting. good luck whatever decision you make

Joni

Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
(female)

nwmom HB User

You may also want to consider getting a second opinion as to which surgeries you need. Best of luck!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
(female)

Rainbowapple HB User

Get a second, third or fourth opinion. I'm 37, have CP, and recently had a posterior tibial tendon release, an Achilles tendon release, and correction of three hammertoes-all in the one orthopedic procedure (on my left foot). Previously, I've had four Achilles tendon releases at the base of my heels, bi-lateral adductor release surgery, as well as a posterior Achilles tendon release at the back of my knee (all done between the ages of 4-14). That said, surgical techniques are constantly being developed, refined and improved upon-and, now, tendon release surgery can be a lot less invasive, thus speeding up healing and recovery time. Personally, I'm open to anything that will help to extend my independent mobility, because loss of flexibility and movement has wider implications for my overall health and functioning.

Good Luck!.

~Rainbowapple, MPH.

Closed Thread