It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

crazychair HB User
Smile Driving with Cerebral Palsy

Hello,

Curios to know if anyone on this board drives with cerebral palsy I am almost 40 and looking to obtain my driver's licence but have had elements of fear surrounding this any help would be appreciated thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
(male)

wayfarer HB User
Re: Driving with Cerebral Palsy

Hello,
personally I don't drive because in the city where I live I have alternative ways for moving around, but I have heard of many people that drive with Cerebral Palsy. Your country is more advanced than mine, probably you know that there are cars that have a joystick instead of the driving wheel, you can drive these kind of cars with a single arm. Sometimes people with CP react in an improper way to external noises/events, they jump suddenly, and this can be a problem: nevertheless I know a girl that drives in despite of this problems.

Driving is risky even for non disabled people, for us it can be even more risky ... but it is an excellent way to be indipendent, and self reliable. In the place where you live, do you have alternative ways for moving around? Can you move around with public transport services? At least you can try, if they give you the driving licence you can start with planning little routes around your house, and with time and practice you start making longer routes ... consider also training yourself with an electric joystick wheelchair, if you haven't one already.

Good luck

Last edited by wayfarer; 09-25-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

gracie10 HB User
Re: Driving with Cerebral Palsy

I have been driving for many years. My CP is on the mild side but, when we began having children I decided to install hand controls as an extra layer of motherly protection particularly during the New England winters. I went to a driving instructor who specialized in teaching adaptive driving. Found them in the yellow pages....They were the only such company though so I don't know if such a service is readily available where you are.I would say check into it. I good adaptive instructor will be ready and able to handle nervousness and any other physical/emotional issue you can throw at them.

Best of luck,
gracie

Closed Thread