It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
(male)

chandler580 HB User
15 month just diagnosed with possible mild CP from pediatrician

Hi,

My 15 month son has been diagnosed with possible mild CP from our pediatrician. My questions are,

What should we be asking the neurologist, our appt. is weeks away but..?

Also, he has hit all his milestones, rolling over, crawling, walking, speech etc...and I've been reading the difference between low muscle tone versus CP. Just confused and hopefully we can get answers from the neurologist.

When he was younger, he would hold both his arms back when being held as if to help hold himself up and balance but never appeared to struggle or be in pain. At the time the pediatrician wasnít too concerned.

He now only seems to hold his arms stiff, slightly when running; some stiffness in one hand when holding a ball for example but everything I read concerning CP tends to be more along the lines with missing many of these milestones. Could this be CP, low muscle tone? or something else?

Just very confused and don't understand how this is possible with never having issues with hitting these milestones. And I havenít come across anyone with a similar situation concerning CP or low muscle tone on the net. Any advice, help is much appreciated.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User
Re: 15 month just diagnosed with possible mild CP from pediatrician

It sounds to me like he could have associated reactions. This is where the child uses tone to make another action easier. In my sons case its when he's sat in his chair and draws or eats, the hand he's not using gets tight and pulls in toward his body. Running is an extremly difficult skill for a child with CP, so to see another part of his body react would fit. Again throwing, any skill like this is difficult, reactions can quite often be seen. Google it.

General rule - if the muscle is tight its high tone, if its loose and floppy is low tone.

Will the neurologist do an MRI or EEG? From this is there any visable damage? Then ask what they think this all means, taking into account the physical manafestations being seen and whether or not there are any signs in his brain of problems.

But to me you need a good Occupational therapist and Physical therapist in place ASAP, the sooner you start, the sooner you will see the physical problems reduced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
(male)

chandler580 HB User

Basswife,

Thanks so much. We have discussed seeing an OT and a PT but wasnít sure if its best to wait to see who the neurologist recommends in regards to which PT or OT is best in our area? Our appointment to see the neurologist is Nov. 10th.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
(female)

The neurologist can't treat CP only the OT and PT, so best to get it underway. (only my personal opinion) Who refered you to the neurologist? They should know the best OT and PT in the area. You want ones who are willing and able to work together and happy to listen to advice from one another. But if your son has reached all his milestones and he is still so young so waiting will not do him too much harm, in the meantime make sure you write down any patterns in hs problems and anything you think you want to ask. Even if it seems insgnificant.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
(male)

chandler580 HB User

Thanks so much, you are correct. I'm going to contact our pediatrician for referrals for an OT and PT.

I've been keeping mental notes of reactions and things I notice but writing it down is absolutely best. Thanks so much for the help and advice and mentioning associated reactions. I had not heard of that but can see that in his movements as well.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
(female)

I'm glad you got something from this, if you have any more questions please ask, Im not sure if I can answer but there are alot if us CP parents on here so I'm sure one of us can help - others have helped me!

Closed Thread