It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
(male)

Jason101885 HB User
New here

Hi I'm new here and would like to introduce myself. My name is Jason and I'm 25 years old. I have a mild form of Cerebral Palsy although I'm not exactly sure of the type. Unfortunately as a young child most of the medical attention I got was for my asthma. I was made fun of really bad in school and therefore have a hard time talking to people about this. I walk with a bit off a limp and am starting to deal with a lot of pain within the last couple of years. I am such a nice person and thankfully my faith in God is helping me through this. Most of my pain is in my lower back and right thigh although I also deal with some knee pain in my left knee. The past few days my right thigh has been really hurting. I never realized that I would start having trouble as an adult. I also have some problems with my arms as I can't hold things with weight for long before severe pain sets in. I learned to accept that there are some things I'll never be able to do because of some balance problems such as riding a bike. Working as a cashier at Wal-Mart really wears me down and it usually takes everything in me just to get through a work day. Sorry this is so long I just thought I'd give you my background. Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to some replies.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User
Re: New here

Hi Jason,
Its good to hear from some adults and their journeys with CP, my son is nearly 3 and has medium CP. I find it really encouraging to hear you have a faith.
You mention that you find it hard to work in Walmart. Do you have any qulifications? Could you change your job? Think carefuly about the way in which your CP limits you, and look into things which can work for you. You could continue your job at Walmart while you trained even? You could then have something to look to, a carrot to work towards and an end to a job you obviously do not enjoy.
Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
(male)

Jason101885 HB User

Don't get me wrong I love my job at Walmart. I love being able to work with the customers it's just becoming really hard on me physically. I sometimes have to lean over the register just to stretch out my back because of the pain. I am just now realizing how much this is really impacting my life. I always thought that other than some differences in walking and the fact that there's a few little things I'm not able to do that would be all. I know I probably will never be able to own my own house without someone living with me because I can't do the outside keepup. Well I have to go into work I just didn't want you to get the wrong idea about me and my job.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
(female)

Yeah, I misunderstood, sorry. I'm glad you enjoy your job.
I recently met a girl who was 16 with CP, she waked with a limp, her left hand was tight and she has speech problems, but had normal intellegence and understanding of the world. She suffered too with cronic pain, which apart from the speech was her most debilitating effect of her CP. The doctor had fitted her with a special pump, to her stomach I think, with which she was able to administer pain meds as she needed them, within a specified amount. This got the pain under control for her.
The pain experienced by people with CP (here in the UK) is treated very seriously, so my advice is to go to your primary doctor and ask for some options. Don't assume you have to live with it because you don't.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
(male)

Jason101885 HB User

It's ok. You did help me understand that I'm going to need to leave there before long as standing on a concrete floor for several hours is getting hard on me. I haven't been to a doctor in years because I really never saw the need to but I think that will change soon. Here as of late it's been hurting just to walk on my right leg. I've started doing some stretches for it though. I also pop a lot I'm not exactly sure if that's normal or not. I'm still learning how this is going to effect me as I get older. This whole thing is depressing. Well I'm going to go now talk to you later.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #6
(female)

Do you have a physio? Might be time to look at getting one? Also an Occupational Therapist would be able to advise you on your job, the one working with my son is great at making everyday things, which he cannot ordinarily do, accessable to him. Esp if you enjoy your job, its a shame to give up on it. These are the people who will also be able to help you understand how your CP affects you now and might in the future. Help you to be more prepared.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
(female)

janniejack HB User

Hi Jason,

You sound just like me. I know I was diagnosed with mild CP as a baby but since it never affected my intelligence in any way just walking with a slight limp, I have until recently lived a very normal life. Normal school, university, friends, travel and now married with 2 kids. But this year it all changed as if over night!

I was totally unaware that as an adult there may be secondary effects on my body from CP. I have been feeling completely exhausted from the simplest of tasks, my feet and knee joints feel like they are on fire and my muscles have run a marathon that no amount of rest can alleviate the pain.

I have since come across information on post-impairment syndrome which they say affects half of all adults with CP. It sounds exactly like what you and I have been experiencing but as yet I cant find a doctor who knows about adult CP.

I have started doing 'pilates' exercises which is based on improving core inner muscle strength and stretching which helps but some times just the thought of moving hurts! I am seriously concerned about mobility and pain management in later life and know I will have to talk to someone about it soon, it is just hard to admit I cant cope like I used too.

I wish you all the best and recommend you talk to your employers - maybe there are ways they can make work more comfortable for you.

Good luck ........ Janice

Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
(male)

Jason101885 HB User

Since I wrote this things have actually gotten worse. I have major tightness in my legs. I also have spasms that sometimes cause my knees to go crazy and make me lose my balance. I've been thinking that's what I've been dealing with too. I still have yet to go get a doctor but I think that's changing soon. I still work for Walmart. I learned my baby story 2 weeks ago and will share it now. Well for starters I'm a miracle child because my mom wasn't supposed to have any kids. I was 8 days late and when I was about to come out I was delayed because the doctor wasn't there. My dad was physically and mentally abusive growing up. I had a major seizure when I was a few months old. I did an odd crawl when I was a baby because I crawled on my hands and feet. If it wasnt for my mom putting me in preschool and having tests done at the time I wouldn't have had the intense physical and occupational therapy that I had and therefore would probably be much worse off than I am now. The official cause of my CP is not known. I had lots of ear infections as a baby and was hospitalized several times. I also had severe asthma at that time to the point where I had breathing treatments. I very easily could not be here today because of all that.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #9
(female)

janniejack HB User

I know our parents make such a difference. My mum and dad, like your mum, refused to give up on my potential. My mum lost her amniotic fluid but I was not born until a few days later and my leg was actually blue when I came out.
I remember having so many tests as a child but mostly to check my mental capacity. My uncle insisted on taking me to a wonderful chiropractor who helped stretch and strengthen my muscles. As a baby I could not sit up and when I learnt to walk I used my toy broom and mop like crutches to walk.
I could walk unaided to school but had to crawl up steps. it too me a long time to learn how to go up/down stairs.
Never once did my parents give up on me or grumble nor was I ever treated any differently from my brother. So I guess, it was just a shock to realize I am not superwoman and CP is impacting on the quality of my life.
I am now trying to find a doctor who can help with my stiffness and pain.
Take care x

Closed Thread