It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
(male)

mymiracleboy HB User
Does my son have CP/What type?

Hello,

My name is Yomi and I join this forum from Nigeria.

I have a 15 month old son who has been diagnosed with CP. But we (myself and my wife) are confused as to the type of CP he has.

He is unable to turn himself on the bed or lift himself. He cannot sit or stand unaided and obviously yet unable to walk.

However in his baby walker he does propel himself about. He does not seem to suffer from any uncontrolled muscle movement that I've read about on the internet. and is quite a happy child except for the fact he can't hold himself upright. I don't think he goes through any pain as he is such a happy child (rarely crying except for food) and i personally have not witnessed any stiffness of his muscles. It seems his problem is coordination.

I'll appreciate any informed opinion on this. Many thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User
Re: Does my son have CP/What type?

Hi,
Firstly my background, my son, now 3 has Spastic Diaplegic CP. So I can understand where you are coming from. The times of unknowing are difficult.
There are 3 'types' of CP, Spastic, Ataxic and Athetoid. My son has the spastic variety, which means his muscles are tight, he cannot walk either. His middle is floppy and he cannot sit up without supports.
I don't know alot about Ataxic or Athetiod CP, but it sounds like your son does have muscle tone problems, he cannot hold himself up, which means he has some low muscle tone some of the time. If you look online at those three classifications of CP, you'll be able read the symptoms and see which you think your son fits into. Think about what he can do and how he does it and what he cannot do at all, this is what the doctors will do when they classify him
Remember when you look, no one fits perfectly, he may have a mix. Its a best fit thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Basswife For This Useful Post:
mymiracleboy (01-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread