It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

TACATCON HB User
Unhappy 17 year old who was diagnosed at 3 after seizures

Hi
I am the mom to a 17 year old girl who was only diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy after she had a series of seizures out of the blue at 3 years old. She only had one day of real seizure activity and then she was fine. The neurologist who took care of her both inpatient and out said she had a "cyst" in the left side of her brain and it was not dangerous so we should leave it there. The only symptom of her CP other than the seizures was that her right side was sligthly shorter and weaker than her left, which has manifested itself when she played sports at school a few years back and had an injury. But you'd never know other than that.

Now she's begun having severe headaches on the left side of her head. She had them for a week and then they went away and then they came back in varying degrees. Her regular doctor did a neurological exam in the office and didn't see anything alarming. We go for a Cat scan tonight. But this doctor is questioning if she even has a cyst or if was some other brain anomaly. She has not been under the care of the neurologist since she was 10 because she was seizure free and her EEG was clean. I know the "cyst" is still there because she had an injury in 2009 and they saw it on the CT Scan they did in the hospital.

I am totally freaked out because she also has an elevated SED rate and has been having neck pain. So I'm worried about meningitis.

I feel like the doctor isn't necessarily taking this as serious as I do and I don't know what to do at this time other than get the CAT Scan. I know an MRI is a possibility.

I don't know if I'm not asking the right questions or what. I just feel totally confused and worried about her. Is it possible to have Cerebral Palsy and a cyst in your brain and just live that way without complications and this is just some other random thing?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User
Re: 17 year old who was diagnosed at 3 after seizures

My son has CP and has two cysts on his brain. He also has other anomolies on his brain. Which causes his CP they're not sure, but some things could only be seen through his MRI scan.

My husband has cysts on his brain also and no physical problems at all, he had trouble with his eye sight and whilst checking him out he had an MRI to rule out anything sinister. Thats when they found the cysts, I have found that although cysts are non progressive, and non life threating, people with them can experience crippling headaches.

My advice, continue with the investigations if she is having the headaches, but yes it is possible to live with cysts with no health problems, my husband does. I think an MRI might put your mind to rest as to what is happening in her brain. But thats up to you and the nurologist.

Hope this helps x x

Closed Thread