It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
(male)

stefan105 HB User
Unhappy Newbie here- question about newborn with CP

Hello,

First time parent with a 7 week old who suffered multiple strokes in utero and has excessive damage to his brain. Naturally I have many questions and am trying to learn as much as I can.

So far the baby's needs are much like that of a regular newborn since he is so young. We have also started early intervention therapy with him in anticipation of the many obstacles he will face. The one thing I am struggling with is his excessive irritability. I was hoping other parents might be able to tell me something or share their experiences.

Our son seems to be prone to extreme fits of crying for no reason. He cries and cries till he is red in the face about 10 times a day at the drop of a hat. He's not wet and not hungry and is quite inconsolable. I was wondering if this excessive irritability was a symptom of his brain injury or if this is just normal in a young baby.

His doctor gave us an emergency kit with Ativan for extreme irritability but we are hesitant to use it as we feel this may just be normal baby stuff. Unfortunately with no previous experiences, we're not sure what is normal. The bottom line is the baby is prone to these fits and we were hoping others could help or advise.

Thank you very very much!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User
Re: Newbie here- question about newborn with CP

Hi,
The fits are 'normal' for a newborn. Babies can be irratable and do this for lots of reasons. Colic maybe. BUT consdering the damage then just be aware. The first sign of my sons CP was developmental delay, he did not smile until around 14 weeks, he didn't roll over etc.

As a baby some things seem to run common for babys with CP - Please remember these are not hard and fast rules, every CP case is very different. My son didn't like to lye flat on his back , he found it uncomfortable, he arched hs back in certain positions which was a CP reaction. He wouldn't lay under a baby gym alone, or play with toys, he wasn't interested in much apart from sleeping until around 8 mths. He struggled to feed, didn't sit up. Couldn't breast feed. Aparently these are 'claasic' early signs.

Was your baby full term? As far as I understand if baby was premature, the brain is unpredictable, anything goes, and there is no predicting it. But if baby was full term, then they will be expecting more fits and probably further fitting - maybe the screams? In my humble opinion (as a mother of a boy with CP) I would ask to get it checked. My son had an EEG which lasted a few hours to follow his brain activity whist he had a 'zone out' moment (he gets them alot) They can see if its problematic then or normal newborn colic. Just an idea.
But to reassure you, somethings will be normal, others not, every child is different and the brain is so complicated they only seem to be able to tell you limited until babys brain is older - it does not finish developing until 2.

Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread