It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

eyes of ice 83 HB User
Smile 28 mild cp since birth, need answers

hello all,
my names shawna im 28, i have mild cp on my left side. was born at 5 mnths with a 10 percent chance of living, 2 lbs 5oz at birth. At the age of 4 I was given a surgey by the hospitial I was born at to fix the tendon in my left ankle. the sergery was to cut and streach my left tendon so that i could eventually put my foot flat on the floor. after the surgery i remeber spending a lot of time in casts. I know I had a plaxtic cast on my leg to help me walk and also went through many yrs of physical therapy. I know that I was sent to a school for disabilitys early in my life, then eventually was moved into public schools.
All of my life I have struggled with my cp. I know im blessed to be here but at the age of 15 I started to work a normal job and eventualy in my life moved on to working 2 jobs. now that im getting older i feel like im physically falling apart and i can not do anything to help my condition. i know i need to see a docotor immediatly because my so called good leg is getting worse. i guess working all mt life has caught up with me.
How do I get all of my medical records from day 1 of my life so I can see exactly what they say?
I know that that my mom has no records of my cp at all
Do you have to register with your disability at the time of birth or is it done for you ?
I have a cousin that has cp as well and he gets a disability benifit that helps him pay for things is there a way I can see if I am eligible for anything? im not one of those people to live off the system, ive worked all my life, but i dont know how much loner i can do this physical without any help.
My good leg is now getting worse, i have pains in my ankle all the time, constantly swollen, it feels like it is gonna brake off, i can barely stand to do my job. Ive been looking around see if i could get a desk job to help my leg but nothing that i can afford to take to pay all of my bills. when ive tried to go to my county to see if i can get medical coverage they tell me that i do not qualify. how am i suppose to help myself? i feel like im going to have to work myself to death or untill something breaks. I NEED HELP! Ive got a very supportive boyfriend from england that is trying to help me every step of the way, hard to do when we can only see eachother 3 mnths out of the yr.
So how do I find out if i can get some finacial assistance with living?
right now i feel so lost because, my legs and and back are getting a lot worse.
Any suggestions on how to hold my legs together in the mean time?
is been a frustraing life and I hope some one can help.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
(female)

brangela HB User
Re: 28 mild cp sence birth, need awnsers

You should be able to contact the doctors or surgeons to get your medical records and x-rays. I have the same ankle pain and swelling for the past two years. I wore an arizona brace for eight months, at the end of that time it was the only thing holding me up. I had an MRI and it showed I had torn my peroneal tendons, had a bone spur, and had inflammation through the bone. I have since had the bone spur removed and had a peroneal tendon transfer. I am still dealing with a lot of pain, but the pain is reduced enough that I can stand without pain.
You may qualify for disability but that can take some time to get.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
(female)

nwmom HB User
Re: 28 mild cp since birth, need answers

I don't have any financial ideas for you. I hope someone out there can help you with that. My only idea was to try and find a pool to walk in or kick in with a kickboard for exercise. I'm thinking it may help with your pain by relaxing the muscles a little. Just a thought. Good luck!

Closed Thread