It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
(female)

open_the_door HB User
cp and 1st grade

I haven't been to this message board in forever. Been very busy with my son this summer. He will be going into 1st grade, and I'm alittle bit scared. It will be the first time that he will be in school all day. I already know his teacher, and she is a very patient and understanding person. Are there other parents out there, or caregivers that has or had a child that went through first grade? If so, could you share your experiences and advice about 1st grade for a child with cp dipegia?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
(female)

open_the_door HB User
Re: cp and 1st grade

I've noticed that I have had 118 views, but no feedback. My son is going to an elementary school that I know has had children with CP. This year, a rail for the bathroom was put into the kindergarten class' bathroom. The school has been there for 25 years. IT is so sad that it takes so long for things to happen especially when you have a child with special needs. I know there are other parents or caregivers out there with kids going into 1st grade that have CP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
(female)

Leaciesmum HB User

Hi there, I have these same fears. Leacie is off to Prep next year (first year of primary school here in Oz), she is at Kindergarten this year but that's only 12hrs a week.

We currently have Kindergarten Inclusion Support Services (KISS) who supply an extra aide to the room, she isn't just for Leacie but helps out in the whole classroom. We are currently in the process of applying for funding for an aide for next year and my heart is in my mouth waiting to see what level of support she will get.

Aleacia has spastic/dystonic quad CP, level 4 on the GMFCS but intellectually she is very bright and she has no verbal issues apart from being quiet spoken. She's not toilet trained which is one of my biggest worries, although the school has recieved funding to make a disabled toilet/change room with rails and benches etc.

Leacie uses a wheelchair and Hart walker, needs a special chair to sit in at tables, or uses a standing frame. She also can bunny hop crawl around the room. She is going to need help with toileting, transitions, writing, lunches, changing clothes, putting on and taking off AFO's, to keep her safe in the playground and propelling her wheelchair.

What worries me is there is another boy at the school she'll be going to with Spina Bifida and he only qualifies for an aide 3.5 hours a day. I think that's absolutely pathetic, Aleacia is going to need one for much longer than that a day.

I also worry about her stamina levels being there for a full day. As you know having CP is quite exhausting for them, not to mention their pain levels by the end of the day.

When does your little one start? Aleacia will be starting in late Jan early Feb next year (the start of the school year here in Oz).

I hope you get some replies because I'll be interested to see how other children cope (and their mum's)

The following user gives a hug of support to Leaciesmum:
open_the_door (08-22-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
(female)

nwmom HB User

Hi there. When Noah went to school, I sent a letter to the teacher ahead of time, stating what he could and couldn't do (ie, has trouble sitting cross-legged, etc.). I requested that he wear a bicycle helmet on the playground whenever he climbed the equipment (I provided them with one). I tried to volunteer some in the classroom so that I could see how things were going. He has an IEP, which helps, too. Hope this helps!

The following user gives a hug of support to nwmom:
open_the_door (08-22-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
(female)

KarimsMUM HB User

Hi, yes it was scary when my son started at school too. I think the best thing is to be proactive at school and in your childs schooling. Knowing the teacher is the first step, don't be afraid to go in on a daily basis to check on things, a communication book can be extremely helpful. Helping out in the classroom id great as it gives you a birds eye view. Get to know the special ed teachers and teacher aides that help your child. They will often be the first contact in years to come. My sons aide, who goes between him and another girl with cp, has been working with him for three years now, she knows him better than the teacher. When my son started school all of our issues were addressed before he started so that it would be a smooth transition, but then his public school was a coded pi school so most things were in place already.
Let me know how you get on! Good luck!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
(female)

open_the_door HB User

It is now January 2012 and my son has been in first grade for 4 months now. He has a great teacher, and he is progressing. We have to do alot of school work at home because he is having a difficult time keeping up with his peers. I know this summer we will be doing more writing, math, and reading so he will be well prepared for 2nd grade. He is on a new medication (due to some other diagnosis) in which he has to drink 60 oz of fluid a day. He constantly has to go to pee during school time, so he misses class time because of that. It is very frustrating right now. He already has CP and now has to deal with other things. He is smart but has to deal with so much. I'm hoping in a few weeks this new med will be discontinued so he won't have to go to the bathroom so much.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
(female)

KarimsMUM HB User

Hi,
My son just started third grade this week, and they have put him in the classroom closest to the toilets so i'm stoked about that. Last year in grade two his se teacher pulled him out of extra classes like french and religion to catch up on work not completed in the classroom. They also gave him the same work only not the same amount so for maths say he would do 10-15 sums and the class would do 15-20. Same result though and that seemed to work.

The Following User Says Thank You to KarimsMUM For This Useful Post:
open_the_door (01-27-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User

I don't have any kids, but I remember growing up with CP. I did struggle going through elementary school, because the kids did make fun of me all the time, because I couldn't run as fast as they could or I ran differently. However, I would say just be a good listener to your kid if he ever is having any social problems. Let him know that there is more to life than those mean kids. I felt very lucky that my mom was there for me while growing up, because I don't know what I would do without her patients and understanding.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
(female)

kc802 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieDee10 View Post
I don't have any kids, but I remember growing up with CP. I did struggle going through elementary school, because the kids did make fun of me all the time, because I couldn't run as fast as they could or I ran differently. However, I would say just be a good listener to your kid if he ever is having any social problems. Let him know that there is more to life than those mean kids. I felt very lucky that my mom was there for me while growing up, because I don't know what I would do without her patients and understanding.
Reading this breaks my heart. My boyfriend's daughter is in kindergarten right now. She'll be starting first grade this coming fall. It was unbelievably hard to send her to kindergarten, I don't even want to think about 1st grade where she will be going all day. Our biggest concern is kids making fun at her. The worst part is that she has I guess what you would call severe CP. She can't talk, walk or sit up on her own.. So really there is no way for her to tell us in words if she's being bullied . Not looking forward to Sarah starting the 1st grade at all.. Not to mention growing up in general because from my experience, kids get meaner as they get older.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc802 View Post
Reading this breaks my heart. My boyfriend's daughter is in kindergarten right now. She'll be starting first grade this coming fall. It was unbelievably hard to send her to kindergarten, I don't even want to think about 1st grade where she will be going all day. Our biggest concern is kids making fun at her. The worst part is that she has I guess what you would call severe CP. She can't talk, walk or sit up on her own.. So really there is no way for her to tell us in words if she's being bullied . Not looking forward to Sarah starting the 1st grade at all.. Not to mention growing up in general because from my experience, kids get meaner as they get older.
I didn't mean to scare you...sorry about that. If you stay positive around your kid that is having a hard time in school, he/she will try to do his best in school and he will also stay positive for the rest of his life.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
(female)

kc802 HB User

Don't be sorry, it isn't your fault. It just breaks my heart to know at such a young age kids will be so cruel as to make fun of others with disabilities that they have no control over.

We are very positive around her. She never misses out on anything and gets every opportunity despite her challenges. It amazes me how strong & positive she is. A few weeks ago she had surgery and when she woke up the first thing she did was give kisses & a big smile to her dad & I.

What worries me is knowing Sarah is used to doing everything "normal" kids do despite her disability, but coming in contact with people in school that treat her like she's "less" and make fun of her. Children who have to deal with so much don't deserve to be treated like this.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc802 View Post
Don't be sorry, it isn't your fault. It just breaks my heart to know at such a young age kids will be so cruel as to make fun of others with disabilities that they have no control over.

We are very positive around her. She never misses out on anything and gets every opportunity despite her challenges. It amazes me how strong & positive she is. A few weeks ago she had surgery and when she woke up the first thing she did was give kisses & a big smile to her dad & I.

What worries me is knowing Sarah is used to doing everything "normal" kids do despite her disability, but coming in contact with people in school that treat her like she's "less" and make fun of her. Children who have to deal with so much don't deserve to be treated like this.
That is great how she is a happy girl right now. She is lucky to have people like you to keep her happy and staying a positive life. Keep it up, so when she does have a bad day at school, she will know she can go to you when she needs an ear and advise.

Closed Thread