It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

neespawa HB User
Chance of a second child having cp

I have an 8 year boy who had a stroke in utero, causing cp. i am thinking of having another child but am nervous about the percentage of a second child being born with a stroke or cp being high.
Does anyone know of any statistics?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
(female)

totieet HB User
Re: Chance of a second child having cp

hi yours is a harder question but I have 3 and my middle child has cp and she only 7
and my oldest hac adhd but my babie boy is fine so I guess if u have great obgyn and a good hospital u should be just fine. good luck with everything

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

neespawa HB User

Thank you for responding.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
(female)

KimberleyM HB User

Cerebral Palsy is caused from a lack of oxygen, it is not hereditary. My mum had 4 children then the 5th with CP, she is now 35 years old. You would have to look into what caused the stroke in your other child and what the risks of the unborn child have of having a stroke. It would have been the lack of oxygen going through your older childs blood that caused the CP after the stroke and not actually the stroke itself if you understand what i mean.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
(female)

neespawa HB User

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately they were not able to tell us why he had a stroke. Hence my question.
Take care.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
(female)

KimberleyM HB User

I would say the odds were in your favour this time as the chance of it happening twice would be very small however it doesnt stop a mother from worrying. I would just maybe stay off saturated fats, cut down carbs and try not to eat too much processed foods. The more natural the better as stroke is usually caused from plaque in the arteries breaking off.

Closed Thread