It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
(female)

Jennerleigh HB User
Question Hamstring Lengthening Surgery

My daughter is 6 and is going to the shriners in nov. to go to the motion lab. They have already talked to me about having this surgery. I have had mixed emotions about this cause I have heard that she will be in inpatient rehab for 6 to 8 weeks and that it is a very painful surgery even though it has great results. She does not walk at all...alittle in a walker if she has her afo's on. Mostly she is wheel chair bound. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to the surgery and recovery before I make a def answer on the surgery!

The following user gives a hug of support to Jennerleigh:
Leaciesmum (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
(female)

Leaciesmum HB User
Re: Hamstring Lengthening Surgery

Hi there, I'm sorry I can't give you any info on the operation at all, but I've heard more good than bad about it. I just want to wish you luck in your decision making and the operation should you decide to go ahead with it.

The only thing my daughter has had done surgery wise so far is an Adductor release in her groin. That gave fabulous results for a year or so but it's tightened up again with her last few big growth spurts.

Let us know how which way you choose to go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
(female)

gracie10 HB User
Re: Hamstring Lengthening Surgery

It has been a fair number of years since I had this surgery myself but, I hope my information can be of some use to you. The pain level from the surgery itself was not nearly as intense as boney or muscular procedures. The difficulty pain wise comes from the post-surgical stretching that is important for a positive outcome. One of the best ways to make this as manageable as possible is to practice relaxation techniques in advance of the surgery to help her feel empowered. There are simple breathing and imagery exercises that can be of great help even for the youngest of children. Also, it is important to let her articulate (at her age and development level) what her fears are and to address them, as the intensity of one's fear tends to have a direct negative effect on pain perception. Also, simple approaches like heat compresses are helpful.

In terms of the surgery itself, the most important indicator of how well it works and how long the effects last is how able you are to stay committed to daily stretching and PT in general. In this regard, your daughter is like an athlete in training. (without the intensity of course) After the initial recovery, daily stretching along with any other recommended PT will help maintain the positive results and help her legs become more limber.

I hope this is of some help to you in your decision.

All the best to you & your daughter,
gracie

The Following User Says Thank You to gracie10 For This Useful Post:
Leaciesmum (09-21-2011)
Closed Thread