It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

stormzy1996 HB User
I am 15 and i have got CP

Heyy I am Storm and i have CP in my left side and now and then i feel a little bit down and lonely. I know that i am not but i just fell like that. I think it's because people always bring me down all the time and take the mick out of me at school, i am at my last year of school and have got my exams in May so it's exams, coursework, revision and a lot of hard work.

I would really like to know if i can drive when i am 16, i have been told that i can and then my mum thinks that i can't.... so..... Does anybody know???

Also i would like to know that does it get better when i get older or does it get harder???

Please reply

Storm xxxxx

Old 10-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
(female)

Alec007 HB User
Re: I am 15 and i have got CP

Hey there
I am 17 and I have CP that also effects the left side of my body.
I dont know know how servre CP effects you, although with my I only have a mild condition. The muscles in my left ankle wont relax, therefore i usually walk on with a limp. Anyways, I can drive a car no problem, good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
(female)

stormzy1996 HB User

heyy thanks
i also walk with a limpbecause my left leg is 3cm shorter than my right leg and my left calf is always tight, it takes a lot to strech it out but my horse riding helps with that and i also have limited movement in my left hand and can't do anything with it. Thank you xx

Last edited by stormzy1996; 10-31-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
(female)

Potsy HB User

Hey Storm,

Girl you can do whatever you put your mind to. I am not sure where you live or the regulations there. I will say, here in Onatario Canada my daughter who has CP went to an assessment clinic. They let her know what modifications needed to be done to a vehicle she would drive, as well as both in class and on the road training.

My daughter is working very hard and saving like crazy to purchase her first vehicle so she can make all the neccessary modifications to hit the road! :-)

If you are told you can't do something - prove them wrong!!

Keep smiling Kiddo! xo

The Following User Says Thank You to Potsy For This Useful Post:
stormzy1996 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
(female)

stormzy1996 HB User

Thankyou, it is nice to hear that, i have never heard that before and i live in england. i alson went to a assesment clinic but that was for my horse riding
thank you so much that means a lot yo me xxxxx

Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
(female)

slmericle HB User

Hi. My daughter is 10 and has CP. She walks with two canes. She can take some steps on her own but not enough to walk full time without assistance. She's having tibial derotation surgery in two weeks and is pretty scared. She thinks that this won't help her walk on her own, although her therapist is pretty optomistic that she'll be able to after she heals. She often comes home from school and is upset because kids that don't know her ask her questions about why she has canes and that brings her down. She's doing the best she can, as I'm sure you are. You have to go day by day and remember that it doesn't matter what other people think, it just matters that you are happy. Did you or do you walk with assistance? I'd love to give my daughter encouraging works but sometimes i just don't know what to say. It's hard being a parent and not being able to help in situations like these.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
(male)

scott8828 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmericle View Post
Hi. My daughter is 10 and has CP. She walks with two canes. She can take some steps on her own but not enough to walk full time without assistance. She's having tibial derotation surgery in two weeks and is pretty scared. She thinks that this won't help her walk on her own, although her therapist is pretty optomistic that she'll be able to after she heals. She often comes home from school and is upset because kids that don't know her ask her questions about why she has canes and that brings her down. She's doing the best she can, as I'm sure you are. You have to go day by day and remember that it doesn't matter what other people think, it just matters that you are happy. Did you or do you walk with assistance? I'd love to give my daughter encouraging works but sometimes i just don't know what to say. It's hard being a parent and not being able to help in situations like these.
slmmericle - im 23 and use a walker .. kids don't know and your daughters just 10 she's a kid herself and she probably just wants to be like the others so she feels awkward when kids do that

now this may come out wrong but i don't mean it to- don't shelter ur daughter don't put her in a bubble let her get bumps let her fall ... what I'm trying to say is let her try and figure out stuff on her own ... let her be as independent as possible now i know that sounds like a lot for a 10 yr old and no I'm not not by any means saying not to help her I'm saying let her do it on
her own and tell her I'm here if u need me but try it on ur own
and just keep encouraging her

Old 03-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
(female)

KarimsMUM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmericle View Post
Hi, My son will be facing this surgery too. He had a double femoral derotational osteotomy a year ago and will have to undergo surgery to remove the plates soon. So they are now debating whether to go in and do the tibia now or wait. Has she had surgery before? The recovery as far as I can see is a lot less than the femur surgery, kids bounce back surprisingly well. honestly I had real fears last year and was so relieved that he was back at school within 3 weeks. Of course a lot depends on the individual. Derotational surgery definately helps gait, I noticed a huge difference and he is able to do so much more now, so when he has the tibia done, our hope is that he can build up strength to walk unaided. As for the school kids, maybe a q&a session in the classroom would help? She could explain in her words her difficulties as well as what she can do, most kids just want to know why and once they know they seem cool with it. My son had a class discussion in grade 2 and he was really happy to answer their questions and the kids were very responsive. Our school has quite a few PI kids so for the school community it's the norm which makes the transitions easier.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
(female)

KarimsMUM HB User

Hi Storm, I admire your determination! Try asking around via support services in your community. Are there any CP organisations you can contact? They should have lots of info as to where you can go to be assessed or know where you can go for more information. Even try the transport department that books the license tests. They would be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck mate!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
(female)

CPmomma HB User

Hi Storm, I also have mild CP that affects my left ankle and causes me to walk with a limp. My left leg is a little shorter than the right as well. I'm not sure how similar our cases are but I am able to drive, I just can't drive a car that has a clutch. I think things do get easier as you get older because you learn your body's limitations better and you know what modifications you need in order to live a happy, normal life. :-) I'm 31 yrs old now and wish I had your determination at such a young age. Keep that and you will be able to do whatever you set your mind to. Good luck! :-)

Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
(female)

michellelynn19 HB User

I dont see any reason why you wouldnt be able to drive. My boyfriend has CP in both of his legs and has his liscence and can drive with no hand controls. Theyhave to have a few diff people drive with you when you take your tests but if you can drive okay then they will gove you your liscence. Just saying my boyfiend has to walk with crutches and he drives like everyone else!

Last edited by michellelynn19; 06-19-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
(male)

abarreto93 HB User

I have CP in both my legs. Its mild; I dont need anything to walk.

As far as driving, I dont know about the UK but in the US you would need a doctors note.

As for being lonely, you have to look past your physical limitations. It took me a while to get girls. Not until I was 18. Now I have too many to choose from. You can do it

Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
(female)

CarolinaGirl814 HB User

Hi! I am eighteen and I have spastic hemiplegic cerebral palsy on my right side. I cannot drive a car due to my right sided peripheral vision loss. I rely on my family, friends and public bus system for transportation. Has anyone tried prisims? Do they really help "improve" visual loss?

Last edited by CarolinaGirl814; 06-26-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Reply Reply