It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
(male)

justintime2985 HB User
Looking for career advice.

I am looking for little bit of advice on my career. I have mild cerebral palsy and recently graduated from college with a degree in Accounting and Finance. Most people cannot tell I have a disability unless they have experience with people with disabilities. Employers, especially in my area where recent grads are a dime a dozen, like to see candidates with at least some relevant work experience. I wasn't unable to get an internship in college mostly because of lack of confidence and poor interview skills. My general work experience is limited as well because I couldn't handle both school and a job. It's kind of ironic because most of the jobs that I could get hired to do are the most physically demanding.

I eventually want an office job (wouldn't even need to be accounting or finance necessarily). I think that would be the best option because I can handle a lot mentally, but my physical abilities are limited . Right now, I just got a seasonal job at Target as a cashier. My first day was today and all my coworkers seemed to be nice and patient. However, I could really feel myself being slower than all the other cashiers, even the new ones. For each checkout the cashier gets a green (G) or red (R) based on speed. Target expects the cashiers to get 'G' at least 80% of the time. I was at about 69% today, and with Black Friday coming it will only get more difficult to get a 'G' each time. What should I do to become more efficient? The last thing I want is for people to become frustrated with me, especially customers. If you have worked at Target or in retail before, do you believe this is much slower than the average beginner? Any tips will be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread