It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
(male)

brayden1 HB User
Driving with startle reflex? / Baclofen

Hi All,

Wasn't sure where to put this post as it doesn't really fit in any of the other categories, but nevertheless...

I am a 21-year-old Australian male with Spastic Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy.

I'm lucky enough (on top of everything else), to have quite a bad startle reflex (brought on by sudden loud noises and unexpected touch). It's so bad, that after I've been startled even just once, I am generally jittery or jumpy all day (which is fun when it comes to going to the cinema etc - as I'm sure some of you know!).

Because of the above, I have not yet gone for my learner's permit (or even had an assessment done) as I had felt that my reflex would be nothing but a danger on the road, both to myself and others. It has been suggested that I try Baclofen tablets, because as well as reducing spasticity, it can often dampen the reflex (from what I have been told and have been reading, anyway). I am however not entirely sure I even want to try Baclofen because of the potential for drowsiness, but I am willing to try it if it dampens the reflex down a tad..

So, I'm wanting to hear from anyone who has a startle reflex and drives, as well as anyone who drives, has the reflex and is taking Baclofen. If you are, has it helped tame your reflex at all? For those who don't take it and drive, how do you find your startle reflex affects your driving when it comes to motorbikes, car horns etc (if at all)?

I realise everyone with CP is different, however I'm just wanting to get a general idea. I will book a driving assessment with an Occupational Therapist shortly, but I thought I'd go straight to the source for this one!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards,

Brayden

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread