It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #16
(female)

kc802 HB User
Re: Need to learn about CP

They're also called braces or splints. Maybe you've heard those names before? Sarah wears them because when standing she could put most of the pressure on the inside of her foot, instead of standing with flat feet. Other problems could be the feet turning inwards or standing on tip toes. Sarah does this while walking.

They offer support and stretch the muscles that are often tensed up. The AFO's sarah has are plastic & are shaped to the mold of her legs. They have two straps and she wears sneakers over them.

You can also get hand splints that keep the hand in an open position & arm splints to keep the arms straight. The arm splint looks different than the leg one.. It's cloth material with velcro in like three places.

There's piles of different aids you can get. Often times you need to do the looking yourself though, it seems.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
(female)

New Foster Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc802 View Post
They're also called braces or splints. Maybe you've heard those names before? Sarah wears them because when standing she could put most of the pressure on the inside of her foot, instead of standing with flat feet. Other problems could be the feet turning inwards or standing on tip toes. Sarah does this while walking.

They offer support and stretch the muscles that are often tensed up. The AFO's sarah has are plastic & are shaped to the mold of her legs. They have two straps and she wears sneakers over them.

You can also get hand splints that keep the hand in an open position & arm splints to keep the arms straight. The arm splint looks different than the leg one.. It's cloth material with velcro in like three places.

There's piles of different aids you can get. Often times you need to do the looking yourself though, it seems.

Thanks, I will ask his PT about them and look it up on the internet. Does or did Sarah has any eating or sucking problems? It is very tricky to get my guy to eat baby food and to drink his bottle. I think he has some kind of oral aversion. Probably because of all the awful meds. I have to give him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
(female)

kc802 HB User

You're welcome! Definitely worth doing your own research into things you can get therapy-wise.

I wouldn't say she has any drinking or sucking problems with regards to a bottle. She actually stopped drinking from a bottle on her own when she got older and would only drink from a glass.. I guess she thought she was too big for the bottle, haha.

Although she does have problems drinking in general as a lot of her drink dribbles out of her mouth unless you give it to her very slowly.. We're trying to teach her how to use straws and bought one-way straws, but with regards to sucking on a straw - she doesn't know how. We're having trouble finding a way to teach her how to do it.

Closed Thread