It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
Member
(female)
 
KimmieDee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. George, Utah, Washington
Posts: 84
KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User
Question I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get worse?

I was born with a mild case of cerebral palsy, and it is mostly in my legs. I wasn't the best walker or runner when I was a kid, but it was satisfactory. Now that I am almost 40, my legs have been getting worse. I can't walk on most kind of floors anymore. I started walking with a cane 6 years ago, and I have talked to a normal doctor about this, but like always, they didn't know the answer. I would like to see a neorologist, but they are very expensive. I was hoping that I would find someone here to help me. Is it possible that my legs can age faster than the rest of my body?

 
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KimmieDee10 For This Useful Post:
jaramajo (05-24-2012), pauldog (05-22-2012), Sunny66 (09-04-2012), Taushann (03-02-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winston-Salem
Posts: 169
nwmom HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

I've seen some older posts of folks who are similar to you who have experienced similar problems as they got older. Some of them think it was made worse by not stretching and exercising as much as they once had. Maybe you can find those posts. Best of luck.

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Member
(female)
 
KimmieDee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. George, Utah, Washington
Posts: 84
KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmom View Post
I've seen some older posts of folks who are similar to you who have experienced similar problems as they got older. Some of them think it was made worse by not stretching and exercising as much as they once had. Maybe you can find those posts. Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for some direct answers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 153
KarimsMUM HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

Hi There,
I'm sorry I have no direct experience as an ab person but my son has spastic cp and it is something I think about. I can only imagine that the legs, if they are what is affected, would seem as though they are aging because it takes so much more effort to keep them going if you know what I mean. As you age every muscle is going to tighten and make it seem as if the cp is worsening. Much the same as a cold winter will do the same. Have you tried hydrotherapy? I know lots of cp people who have turned to this to exercise and stretch the muscles to keep them as supple as possible. Just a thought

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 76
yankeegirl HB Useryankeegirl HB Useryankeegirl HB Useryankeegirl HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

As you probably know the original damage done to your brain, whatever the cause, will not get worse, but the effects of walking incorrectly for years will take their toll on you. Your problem areas will show the biggest difference, and I would think that will affect areas closest to them first. What I mean is, if your legs and feet are tight and weak it can affect your hips eventually too because hips are part of walking. Your legs and hips affect your back also.

I am now 36 and just the past couple years I feel my leg muscles are getting tighter. I don't exercise at all so that is probably a factor to some extent. Also I am not walking as much as I did since I am done with school and I'm not working anymore, so probably the less you use your legs the more they tighten up. I don't know how much stretching and strengthening exercises would help you; all my life people have tried to convince me of that but I personally hit a wall and after a while did not improve in some muscle groups. I think no one really knows what works, honestly. Doctors seem to do a lot of guessing with older people. Your best bet is probably a combination of a neurologist and orthopedist, ideally an adult CP specialist, which as I've said on here is VERY hard to find. Definitely see someone who sees adults and not just children; we are a whole different ballgame for children's doctors and trust me it is not a wise move to assume they know what to do with us. That's a huge mistake I made in the past. Good luck, wish I had better answers for you.

Last edited by yankeegirl; 03-25-2012 at 11:58 PM.

 
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankeegirl For This Useful Post:
jaramajo (05-24-2012), KimmieDee10 (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Member
(female)
 
KimmieDee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. George, Utah, Washington
Posts: 84
KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

Thanks for the message. I am so glad I am not the only one here that is going through this. I, too, wish that someone will come up with all of this with adults that have CP soon.

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KimmieDee10 For This Useful Post:
jaramajo (05-24-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winfield,Alabama U.S.A.
Posts: 2
angelcom34 HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

I am 41 yrs old born with mild cp as well! at age 35 i started to notice a progression of aging in my legs as well as other things.The report says I am aging 20 yrs faster than average person.. So basicly I am a 41 yr old with a 61 yr old nervous system. Function is getting harder. I am doin research , to try and find some help for people like you and I . I will try to contact you later with something more helpful. Just know you are not alone!

 
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelcom34 For This Useful Post:
jaramajo (05-24-2012), KimmieDee10 (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Member
(female)
 
KimmieDee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. George, Utah, Washington
Posts: 84
KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

Thank you so much. I am glad to see that someone else is trying to find some information about all of this. Keep me posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcom34 View Post
I am 41 yrs old born with mild cp as well! at age 35 i started to notice a progression of aging in my legs as well as other things.The report says I am aging 20 yrs faster than average person.. So basicly I am a 41 yr old with a 61 yr old nervous system. Function is getting harder. I am doin research , to try and find some help for people like you and I . I will try to contact you later with something more helpful. Just know you are not alone!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 1
Blog Entries: 3
Late Life CP HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

I was very happy to see this message board. I was just diagnosed with spastic diplegia today at the age of 51. At first I was shocked & said no way, but it explains so much that has happened with my body - the most unusual (to date) was bilateral knee replacement at 45 without any history of injury. I feel relieved to have a reason that my leg muscles have always been tight. Unfortunately, it is now affecting my hips & lower back. I see a chiropractor & massage therapist 2x week. It seems if I stay regular with the massage, the tightness can be held at bay.

Now, I have decided that if CP is the correct diagnosis, I have truly been blessed to have made it to this age without the CP being obvious. I learned to walk with these muscles because I didn't know any better and will continue to walk because it's what I've always done.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Member
(female)
 
KimmieDee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. George, Utah, Washington
Posts: 84
KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

Wow, that is interesting that you just found out about it recently, because more people find out about their CP when they are 1 or 2 years old.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Life CP View Post
I was very happy to see this message board. I was just diagnosed with spastic diplegia today at the age of 51. At first I was shocked & said no way, but it explains so much that has happened with my body - the most unusual (to date) was bilateral knee replacement at 45 without any history of injury. I feel relieved to have a reason that my leg muscles have always been tight. Unfortunately, it is now affecting my hips & lower back. I see a chiropractor & massage therapist 2x week. It seems if I stay regular with the massage, the tightness can be held at bay.

Now, I have decided that if CP is the correct diagnosis, I have truly been blessed to have made it to this age without the CP being obvious. I learned to walk with these muscles because I didn't know any better and will continue to walk because it's what I've always done.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Humble, TX
Posts: 4
Spookysmommy HB UserSpookysmommy HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieDee10 View Post
Thanks for the message. I am so glad I am not the only one here that is going through this. I, too, wish that someone will come up with all of this with adults that have CP soon.

Kimmie,
I'm 29 and feel my legs getting worse as I get older. My legs, knees, back, and ankles ache often. I try to be active to stretch my muscles but my legs get too tired too quickly. I can feel how tight my hamstrings are and its crazy. I have almost no ability to move my left foot anymore. I used be able to sort of wiggle my toes when I was a kid. I think I may have developed arthritis in my knees and hands. I heard arthritis is common for people with CP.

I am so glad I found this message board.
~Lyndsey

 
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spookysmommy For This Useful Post:
jaramajo (05-24-2012), KimmieDee10 (04-30-2012), pauldog (05-22-2012), pupollie (05-18-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Member
(female)
 
KimmieDee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. George, Utah, Washington
Posts: 84
KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

I think you are right about arthritis. It is very possible for us to get it in our back, legs, and etc. Thank you so much for sharing your story.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookysmommy View Post
Kimmie,
I'm 29 and feel my legs getting worse as I get older. My legs, knees, back, and ankles ache often. I try to be active to stretch my muscles but my legs get too tired too quickly. I can feel how tight my hamstrings are and its crazy. I have almost no ability to move my left foot anymore. I used be able to sort of wiggle my toes when I was a kid. I think I may have developed arthritis in my knees and hands. I heard arthritis is common for people with CP.

I am so glad I found this message board.
~Lyndsey

 
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KimmieDee10 For This Useful Post:
Spookysmommy (04-30-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 366
dragonballwizard HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

Kimmie,

Like you, I have searched and searched for anything on aging with CP. I am 46 and I can honestly say that things are a lot different now then when I was in my 20's. I have talked to my doctor about this and get no answers. I don't think they have a clue. My balance is different, I fall more often and I can not get up without help if I am outside. If I fall in the house I just crawl over to a chair or something I can support myself on. I use a can more often for balance. It is scary for sure. I hope we all can find the info we seek.

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to dragonballwizard:
pupollie (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Member
(female)
 
KimmieDee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. George, Utah, Washington
Posts: 84
KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

Thanks so much for sharing your story and thoughts. I, too, would like some kind of results to come up in the future.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonballwizard View Post
Kimmie,

Like you, I have searched and searched for anything on aging with CP. I am 46 and I can honestly say that things are a lot different now then when I was in my 20's. I have talked to my doctor about this and get no answers. I don't think they have a clue. My balance is different, I fall more often and I can not get up without help if I am outside. If I fall in the house I just crawl over to a chair or something I can support myself on. I use a can more often for balance. It is scary for sure. I hope we all can find the info we seek.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 17
PMADrew09 HB User
Re: I am in my late 30's and I have Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible for it to get wors

Hey I'm Drew going on 26... i have mild cerebral palsy of the right side... i am losing my leg functions because of so much physical exertion i did in college.. i now am battling crippling pain in my back and legs... and if i don't get help for my back i may be in a wheel chair... i'm so young yet i feel so old... i hope things get better for you
__________________
" Win the battle and eventually you WILL win the war!"

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PMADrew09 For This Useful Post:
KimmieDee10 (06-29-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
adult, aging, cerebral palsy, legs, muscles



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Baclofen
Botox
Diclofenac
Neurontin Prevacid
  Potassium
Tegretol
Tylenol
Valium
Zanaflex




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



KimmieDee10 (11), yankeegirl (10), Spookysmommy (4), akiva (3), WMCR2001 (2), vermontcp (2), Basswife (2), whitesugar (2), Potsy (2), angelcom34 (2)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1011), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (761), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!