It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #31
(female)

Aviaja HB User
Re: New here and don't fit in anywhere !!

.Hi Scott,

How nice it was to see someone like you. I also feel very out of place.

I'm 26 years old, with mild CP diplegia and also "gifted". So i feel extremely out of place to. I don't have the typical cognitive problems as many do. I have minor subtle ones. But it might also just be my personality. No one would recognize it as a handicap.

I study psychology and health promotion at a university. I love sports and jog daily. I can easily hold my own on a running field and compete with "normal" people.

I walk with a slight limb on my left side. But both legs are affected, not my upper body though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkcmkhc View Post
Thanks for the reply. I understand that. My son has had difficulties since very young and has his Nureo has found a slowing on the back ride side of his brain, which he said links in with how his left side was a lot slower to develop skills, it is a lot better now but still very obvious slower to his right. He also has had different seizures etc. Due to his age and the fact that he has so many different things going on no diagnosis has been made yet but mild CP has been mentioned as a possibility. He has an MRI mid July to see if there is a reason for the slower braing waves and the slight weakness on his left side. I have spoken to others who have mild CP and some were not officially "diganosed" until they were around 2 as there symptoms were a bit like my sons. We have been told that in general Dr's don't diganose mild CP until later incase the child "grows out of it"?????
I'm sorry to hear about your son's seizures. I hope his situation will improve soon, with the right care.

I wasn't diagnosed until i was 2 years old. I was almost two when i started to walk, and i was tiptoeing, and had a a 'scissor gait'.

As i got older, i got stronger. When i started kindergarden i was just like everyone else. Played like they did, ran, rode my bike, rollerblading etc. I just did it on my toes

I stopped growing at around 12 years old, and so my tendons got the break they needed, and i did some heavy excercising on my own, and now walk on my heels, without surgery or botox, and no one would ever know.

You will occasionallyy see a slight limb, but people just think i temp lost my balance or something, as do many people.

When i get drunk it gets a bit more obvious tho. Since drinking affect inhabitions and balance. I guess i don't really care after a few pins AND my balance is poor. So i just don't try as hard.

One thing that has been a problem of mine my entire life, is to stop "fighting". I have a problem "letting lose". Crying or admitting to physical pain.
I have an extremely high tolerance of pain, which really isn't a good thing.

I guess having a disadvantage your entire life, but appearing normal, will make people expect the same from you as anyone else, and you have to try that much harder.

I have a problem letting people see "me".

If your son has a "mild" diagnose of any kind, i would advice you, and your family to be his soft place to fall. The place where he can be himself. Let him be "little" when he comes home from kindergarden.

I often felt like i had to be a "big girl" when i was out, and when i got home, i needed to be "babied" a bit. To tell my parents i was in pain, or tired or whatever i was, because i couldn't when i was out.

I needed to be a bit "younger" than i really was when i was at home. Just to kind of bring balance to the part of me, that had to be really mature about being in pain, and not "whine". Where any "normal" kid would have said something a lot time ago.

He might also develope a bit asynchronical. He might be really mature one day, and act like a baby the next.

But all in all, i've lived a completely ordinary life

- A

The following user gives a hug of support to Aviaja:
pupollie (07-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #32
(female)

Terra835 HB User

Hello Scott,

I also have C.P. but im able to walk and because of my C.P. I also stutter and walk with a limp and I cant stand for long periods of time, I also have a learning disability but other then those problems I live a normal life

Old 12-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #33
(female)

Swalters1 HB User

Hi guys.

Until 2 years ago I was you Scott. I was very active and raised and family and worked full-time (I was the a typical Soccer mom). I guess age has caught up with me so try to enjoy your life as much as you can. You never know what tomorrow will bring. If I had any indication that life would be like this at 45 I would have had a bucket list at 20......

Am

Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #34
(female)

Valley6632 HB User

YES YES YES!!! ME! ME!! Scott, I know exactly where you're coming from. Mild CP. I don't LOOK like I have any disability but know I do and it is evident when I try to bend, stoop or even go up and down stairs. I do not drive (low vision) so I walk everywhere. Still, it's a pain in the fanny sometimes when I get stuck on a curb and can't extend my leg enough to hop up on a curb.

The thing about being MILDLY affected is many think you have nothing wrong with you and think you're faking it when you say you don't hike or enjoy physical activities that stress the muscles too much. People look at me like I'm a lazy-butt because I use the elevator at work.....I got stuck on the stairs once because the rail was too short and I had to crawl up the last 2 steps. Not doing that again.

So, yep! I get it. If anyone has suggestions for making life a little easier and breezier, I'd love to read what you have to say.

Take care Scott and just know, you're not the only one. You're amongst friends.

Reply Reply