It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
(male)

scott8828 HB User
New here and don't fit in anywhere !!

hey guys I'm new here my name is Scott i think the title pretty much says it all.. i have mild CP and i am kinda stuck i feel i don't fit in the CP world i am very active i swim , i race in marathons i lift weights ... I'm un affected mentally and pretty independent ... almost feel like i don't have CP BUT I KNOW I DO .. anyone else feel like this ?

its either ppl with CP are in wheelchairs and have to have help with their daily lives or ppl with cp that can't walk or talk

so where do i fit in ??? anyone else have this issue ?

Last edited by scott8828; 03-17-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
(female)

yankeegirl HB Useryankeegirl HB Useryankeegirl HB Useryankeegirl HB User
Re: New here and dont fit in anywhere !!

I know exactly where you are coming from. You almost never hear about anybody with CP, and when you do, it is just about always someone who is in pretty bad shape, plus if there is any concern about the issue it is for children only. People would be shocked to know I have a college education and love to do things by myself.

Sadly the only clue I have to people like us is the rare message board like this one, and there is not much activity or responses. I wish I had a better answer for you, but know that I do understand because I am where you are.

The Following User Says Thank You to yankeegirl For This Useful Post:
CarolinaGirl814 (06-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User

I know what you are talking about. While growing up, my CP hardly showed. Most of the time, I felt like a typical person. However, I was very interested to learn as much as I could about CP. Now, that I am an adult, I would like to learn more about CP in adults. It is very hard to find many things about it.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
(male)

scott8828 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieDee10 View Post
I know what you are talking about. While growing up, my CP hardly showed. Most of the time, I felt like a typical person. However, I was very interested to learn as much as I could about CP. Now, that I am an adult, I would like to learn more about CP in adults. It is very hard to find many things about it.
i use a walker that is the only way u can tell something is "wrong" with me

Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
(female)

For me - it is a cane, and I walk slow (now).

Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott8828 View Post
i use a walker that is the only way u can tell something is "wrong" with me

Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
(male)

HaveCPnDontcare HB User
Re: New here and don't fit in anywhere !!

i just walk with a little limp on my right side other then that u cant tell i just call it a gangsta lean

Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
(female)

That is cool that you gave it a name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveCPnDontcare View Post
i just walk with a little limp on my right side other then that u cant tell i just call it a gangsta lean

Old 04-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #8
(female)

djkcmkhc HB User

I have a 15month old who dr's are currently looking at trying to diagnose what he has so they can give us the correct support and treament if needed. One of the things mentioned is CP. If he has CP I have a feeling it will be mild. So I love reading your posts as it fills me with hope. Would any of you mind sharing with me when and how your CP was diagnosed.
Thankyou
Donnajane

Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #9
(male)

scott8828 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkcmkhc View Post
I have a 15month old who dr's are currently looking at trying to diagnose what he has so they can give us the correct support and treament if needed. One of the things mentioned is CP. If he has CP I have a feeling it will be mild. So I love reading your posts as it fills me with hope. Would any of you mind sharing with me when and how your CP was diagnosed.
Thankyou
Donnajane
usually u get CP at birth

Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
(female)

djkcmkhc HB User

Quote:
usually u get CP at birth
Thanks for the reply. I understand that. My son has had difficulties since very young and has his Nureo has found a slowing on the back ride side of his brain, which he said links in with how his left side was a lot slower to develop skills, it is a lot better now but still very obvious slower to his right. He also has had different seizures etc. Due to his age and the fact that he has so many different things going on no diagnosis has been made yet but mild CP has been mentioned as a possibility. He has an MRI mid July to see if there is a reason for the slower braing waves and the slight weakness on his left side. I have spoken to others who have mild CP and some were not officially "diganosed" until they were around 2 as there symptoms were a bit like my sons. We have been told that in general Dr's don't diganose mild CP until later incase the child "grows out of it"?????

Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
(female)

Spookysmommy HB UserSpookysmommy HB User

I know what you mean. Growing up my CP didn't affect me that much. I was a pretty active kid. Other than my limp and my lazy eye, you can't tell. As I have gotten older, my joints hurt. I get really bad ankle stiffness and cramping. My back and legs hurt a lot and I can't sit or stand for long periods of time now. I also developed arthritis in my hands. Somehow though Texas doesn't think I qualify for any disability. GRRR...

Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
(female)

I don't like to sit or stand for long periods of time either. I can't believe that Texas won't qualify you for disability. That is crazy and sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookysmommy View Post
I know what you mean. Growing up my CP didn't affect me that much. I was a pretty active kid. Other than my limp and my lazy eye, you can't tell. As I have gotten older, my joints hurt. I get really bad ankle stiffness and cramping. My back and legs hurt a lot and I can't sit or stand for long periods of time now. I also developed arthritis in my hands. Somehow though Texas doesn't think I qualify for any disability. GRRR...

Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
(female)

Spookysmommy HB UserSpookysmommy HB User

I'm gonna go the next step after filing several appeals and seek legal council. I mean... its hard for me to work and without working, I can not get any medical insurance... without medical insurance, I can not get any PT. Without the PT, my muscles get tighter... its a catch 22.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
(female)

I can understand. It is so hard to find jobs when you are wandering around with a cane. I am hoping that I will get social security insurance, but I won't hear from them probably until August. Good luck with your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookysmommy View Post
I'm gonna go the next step after filing several appeals and seek legal council. I mean... its hard for me to work and without working, I can not get any medical insurance... without medical insurance, I can not get any PT. Without the PT, my muscles get tighter... its a catch 22.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
(female)

Sherlock7437 HB User
Smile Re: New here and don't fit in anywhere !!

Quote:
hey guys I'm new here my name is Scott i think the title pretty much says it all.. i have mild CP and i am kinda stuck i feel i don't fit in the CP world i am very active i swim , i race in marathons i lift weights ... I'm un affected mentally and pretty independent ... almost feel like i don't have CP BUT I KNOW I DO .. anyone else feel like this ?

its either ppl with CP are in wheelchairs and have to have help with their daily lives or ppl with cp that can't walk or talk

so where do i fit in ??? anyone else have this issue ?
Scott, My daughter (17) was diagnosed with cp at 1 yr old. She had lots of early intervention, and now she has no signs of cp at all, except for a mild learning disability. I count us as very blessed people. Good luck!
Sherlock

Reply Reply