HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cerebral Palsy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cerebral-palsy/)
-   -   Living life with cerebral palsy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cerebral-palsy/906834-living-life-cerebral-palsy.html)

CarolinaGirl814 06-26-2012 04:47 PM

Living life with cerebral palsy

Hi! I was born with moderate spastic right side hemiplegic cerebral palsy. I wore a leg brace for eight years until my heel cord legnthening/tendon transfer operation in 2002. In 2004, I was offered a tendon transfer for my arm, but I opted out for many reasons. I went to occupational and physical therapy all through my childhood. I am now eighteen, and I feel like I am losing what little sensation in my arm and leg, that I already have, especially in my right arm. Is this really happening, or am I more aware of the condition now that I am older? Has this happened to anyone else with CP?

PMADrew09 06-28-2012 11:09 PM

Re: Living life with cerebral palsy

hey Carolina Girl

Names Drew I'm going on 26 and I have lost some sensation in my right arm (mild right sided hemiplegia).. i also have to wear a brace on my arm now because my arm wont relax and it draws up... i was recently hospitalized for my lower back problems and seizures and they think that the doctor may have made a misdiagnosis they believe that my CP might actually be spastic... i don't really understand what they mean because i have never talked to or met anyone who has CP before... so i really don't know much about it...stupid isn't it?

scott8828 06-29-2012 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=PMADrew09;5009007]hey Carolina Girl

Names Drew I'm going on 26 and I have lost some sensation in my right arm (mild right sided hemiplegia).. i also have to wear a brace on my arm now because my arm wont relax and it draws up... i was recently hospitalized for my lower back problems and seizures and they think that the doctor may have made a misdiagnosis they believe that my CP might actually be spastic... i don't really understand what they mean because i have never talked to or met anyone who has CP before... so i really don't know much about it...stupid isn't it?[/QUOTE]

thats not stupid i have mild cp it only really affects my legs so i use a walker other then that I'm fine so because it doesn't really affect me i never really bothered to look into it i just live with it and I'm 23

CarolinaGirl814 06-29-2012 10:37 PM

Thank you Drew and Scott. Having cerebral palsy isn't stupid, it is just annoying, but I know what you mean. I become very frustrated with my spasticity/weakness frequently along my entire right side, especially in my arm. My left arm becomes very tired from working ten times harder each day, but I usually continue the fight until the end of the night, when I.can rest, especially my good left side. If you both have questions, or just want to talk, I am here. :-) I know how frustrating CP is, but I do know that there are amazing things that we can do when we try our best. God bless!
~ CarolinaGirl