It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
(female)

yaelchai HB User
Has anyone had a De-rotational Osteotomy?

My 10 year old daughter just had this operation. I would like to get in touch with others who have had this surgery and find out about others' experiences.

Thank you!
Yael

Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
(female)

KarimsMUM HB User
Re: Has anyone had a De-rotational Osteotomy?

Hi Yael,
My son had this on both his femurs last year. The surgery is different for everyone depending on what is being done at the same time eg tendon release.
For us it was a major improvement and he was back to normal ++ within 6 months. We noticed a huge differencein his gait and his strength and was able to do a lot more physio wise post surgery. Feel free to ask any questions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
(female)

Maryjenna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarimsMUM View Post
Hi Yael,
My son had this on both his femurs last year. The surgery is different for everyone depending on what is being done at the same time eg tendon release.
For us it was a major improvement and he was back to normal ++ within 6 months. We noticed a huge differencein his gait and his strength and was able to do a lot more physio wise post surgery. Feel free to ask any questions!
We are thinking about this for our daughter who is 12. Any thought?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

KarimsMUM HB User

I found it hugely beneficial, I would say that with this surgery, it is better to do it before she gets too much older. They have a period of 6 weeks post surgery where there is no weight bearing at all. So lifting is a huge consideration. Everyone recovers differently but my son coped quite well and after returning home from hospital, was only on pain meds for a week, just over the counter stuff.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
(female)

yaelchai HB User

Our daughter (10.5 years old) had the de-rotation of both femurs and both tibias on June 7, 2012. She spent 3.5 months inpatient for rehabilitation and is now getting intensive therapy 2 days a week at the same hospital. It has not been an easy road. HOWEVER, I would do it again without hesitation. She is walking straight (she had toed in drastically) and steadily. She still needs to improve her speed and balance, but we have been told that the maximum results are seen one year after the operation, so she is still improving.
Yael

Reply Reply

Tags
cerebral palsy, surgery recovery