It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

lulurella HB User
Strabismus Treatment / Surgery in Adults

Hi All,

Like most of you on here I stumbled onto this message board and could not be happier to have found it. Most of the information around on the web is repeats and I don't see too much information surrounding treatment for Adults.

My main question, is has anyone had success with Strabismus treatment as an adult? Either surgery, or botox? Glasses do not correct my vision and I'm having a bit more an issue driving as a get older. I did not have any surgery as a child, just glasses.

Thank you in advance!

The Following User Says Thank You to lulurella For This Useful Post:
missjackie65 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
(female)

missjackie65 HB User
Re: Strabismus Treatment / Surgery in Adults

I had Strabismus Surgery in April of this year (2012). I am 33 years old and have had Exotropia since I was a young child. In my case I alternated the use in each eye, causing me to have good vision in both eyes. My decision to have this surgery was after the drift in my eyes became more frequent, almost all of the time. I was using each eye seperately depending on the distance of the object making it more difficult to drive.

After Surgery I saw double for about 3 days and it really freaked me out!!! I was tired because I was on Vicodin and returned to work after a week. Then my brain adjusted and the picture eventually began to fuse together. AMAZING! Now it's kinda weird when people acknowledge me first when I look at them, lol. I would do it again in a heart beat* Any additional questions I would be happy to answer. I hadnt realized how having Exotropia hurt so many people. . .good luck*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
(female)

lulurella HB User

I am so happy you wrote back. I am in exactly the same boat, as I get older it seems to be getting worse. And yes and I too, don't have stereo vision (so its one eye or the other - both 20/20). Even driving has become a bit more difficult.

I met with a surgeon about correcting it, but your endorsement means WAY more. I was told for so many years that there was nothing anyone could do about it and then alll of the sudden I found this treatment, but could find no one in my situation that had tried it.

He did warn me about my eyes going to opposite direction and that full the actual results can take a bit more time. So I promise I won't freak out early on. Were you out of work for a long time?

Do you have any more depth perception as a result of it? Is that the same? And now do your eyes stay aligned most of the time?

Thanks so much!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
(female)

girllostinspace HB User

I know this is an old post, but maybe my experiences will help others. I had 3 strabismus (Extropia) operations as a child, (-89, -90) 2 for the left, one for the right eye. They didn't have very good results, or at least they didn't last long. Additionally the anaesthesia made me sick, and I hated being in the hospital for couple of nights, so after 3 surgeries I didn't want any more.

Growing up I hated my eyes, and hated seeing myself in photos because of them, as the more I tried to focus, the more the eyes drifted out. I'm also sure they affected my changes of getting a job. 22 years later I decided to at least ask about further surgery. To my suprise surgery techniques had developed so much that it was now a day surgery, and I decided to go ahead. I had a surgery on my right eye in April 2012 and another one in December 2012 on both eyes. Everything went well, I wasn't sick at all and now my eyes look normal. I'm so happy now seeing myself in the mirror and in photos! I have so much more confidence as I'm much more comfortable with myself! I highly recommend the surgery on anyone!

Reply Reply