It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
(female)

Rani 1310 HB User
Question Hamstring lengthening surgery

Dear All

Please can you kindly advise me. My sweet darling niece is having this procedure done. She is seven (7) years old. She hasnt ever walked and she is a bundle of joy, laughter and unfaultering love. As you can see she is my world.

Can you please advise me anyone out how to help her through this surgery. She is very strong but I am not. From what I have been told there is extensive physio therapy and exercise. And a lot of pain. Has anyone had this done to their child....please help me find so solace, what can I learn and read up about so that I can prepare her and myself for what I pray will have a positive outcome.

I always believed we can learn so much from each other, please help...

Old 10-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
(female)

beckyluvs4 HB User
Re: Hamstring lengthening surgery

My daughter had this done on July 31. She is 11. She did say it was very painful. She doesn't walk as her main means of travel but can for short distances with her walker/arm crutches. They did her hamstrings and achilles tendons at the same time. There is a lot of therapy afterwards. We have been doing therapy 3 times a week for an hour each. I can say it has helped her a lot. She is able to get her legs straighter and her feet flat. We have even had to raise her walker as she is standing up straighter now. She has four little one inch incisions on her legs but they are very mild. I wish your neice the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply