It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
(female)

KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User
Re: How do you deal with having Cerebral Palsy?

Thanks for sharing your story. For me, it was the opposite: I started out having social problems in elementary school, but as the years went on, my social life became better.

When I turned 30, I also went through an anxiety disorder. It was crazy, but now I got is under control.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
(female)

emilyring HB User

My parents had no idea I was going to have CP when I was adopted. I've had had Spastic Tripelgic CP-left side & bottom part of right leg since before birth. My left lg was under corrected & my right leg was over corrected w/ braces. I currently walk w/ a cane. I used a walker through the 4th Grade & a cane ever since that time. I also have a wheelchair for long distances.

I was mainstreamed from Kindergarten & only took one resource class in Elementary School-Math-my hardest subject even in Jr High & HS. I graduated from HS w/ my sister & my cousins & 2nd cousin. My sister & I are Irish twins-born w/in the same year. I'm older & we are both adopted. We also have two younger siblings-one adopted & one who's not adopted.

I was teased & taunted starting in late 1st Grade or 2nd Grade through 9th Grade. I wouldn't want to relive Jr High even if you paid me. LOL By HS most of the kids I went to Elementary School had matured to an extent. My sister & I went to a different Jr High than the kids went to Elementary School w/.

I met my future husband during my 2nd year of college. We were friends for 5 & 1/2 years before we got married by his grandpa. I'm lucky I have have a great family & married into a great family. My husband & I have no kids but we have 10 almost 11 that we claim like our own (nephews & nieces). We've been married for just over 11 & 1/2 years.

I've had PT off & on since I was 1 y/o. I still go to maintain my mobility. I've known my current PT since I was 16 y/o. I also do certain home exercises-yoga-stretching & wall exercises & use a 3-5 lb weight for my hands.

I've also had friends come in & out of my life. Some stayed & some didn't. I've also learned who my true friends are. I also try to avoid "toxic" people. I don't like to be brought down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
(female)

That is cool that you are married. It sounds like you got a cool husband.

I think one of the things you learn when you are living with CP, you learn a lot about social lives. Haha...

Five years ago, my doctor suggested that I get back into exercising to keep my legs from getting weaker, and my doctor suggested that I get a Wii and get the programs that will make get good work outs for my legs. I did save my money to get one and I did get a Wii. I try to use it as much as I can... Sometimes my college schedules keep me away from it - or I would be using it everyday. Anyway, it does make me feel like it gives my legs good work-outs, and I am hoping that it will work. What kind of work-outs do you do for your legs? I am looking for more ideas.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
(male)

adultwithcp82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieDee10 View Post
That is cool that you are married. It sounds like you got a cool husband.

I think one of the things you learn when you are living with CP, you learn a lot about social lives. Haha...

Five years ago, my doctor suggested that I get back into exercising to keep my legs from getting weaker, and my doctor suggested that I get a Wii and get the programs that will make get good work outs for my legs. I did save my money to get one and I did get a Wii. I try to use it as much as I can... Sometimes my college schedules keep me away from it - or I would be using it everyday. Anyway, it does make me feel like it gives my legs good work-outs, and I am hoping that it will work. What kind of work-outs do you do for your legs? I am looking for more ideas.
Well I lay on the bed and do leg stretches or lifts sometimes I sit in a chair and try to lift my lower legs to strengthen my calf muscles being that I have very little muscle in that part of my legs.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #20
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adultwithcp82 View Post
Well I lay on the bed and do leg stretches or lifts sometimes I sit in a chair and try to lift my lower legs to strengthen my calf muscles being that I have very little muscle in that part of my legs.

Laying on the bed and working out the legs sound like a good idea.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
(female)

Terra835 HB User

I dont know really how to answer this question any other way but by saying I just deal with it, I have C.P. and I've had it ever since I was born

Last edited by Terra835; 11-15-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
(male)

noradninja HB User

I am 33 and have lived with spastic hemiplegia (left side) my entire life. Up until I was about 7 I was in AFO's for correction but this was not particularly successful. I eventually had a plantar facial correction along with a heel cord lengthening at age 13 for the left leg; this was successful but as time has gone on it has regressed and in fact now is worse than it was before I had the procedure. I also now am suffering from the comorbid wear on the rest of the body which is of course causing some pretty severe pain in the hips/spine/legs that pretty well limits my mobility anymore. I used to drive and was fairly decently ambulatory without any assistive devices; nowadays I do not drive at all and use a cane or walker to get around unless I need to do a lot of walking; that is when I break out the wheelchair. I live now with excruciating pain that lack of ambulation and narcotic painkillers only do so much for.

As a kid I was teased and **** on a lot for my disability, I actually got beaten up a lot because people didnt understand and I guess were afraid- my mother actually had to go to my elementary school and explain to both my peers and my teachers that me having CP did not mean I was retarded; in fact I have an IQ around 130 and in general have no real issues surrounding intelligence. I went to college and have an AS in 3D Computer Modeling and Animation (Fullsail University) and most recently worked as an assistant IT administrator and an instructor at a computer training center (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office).

The problem with CP is that people think of it in the extreme case; wheelchair bound, retarded with uncontrolled spasms and a general inability to communicate when the reality is that this sort of extreme circumstance is actually the outlier; cases like mine ar much more prevalent and yet like people with mental disorders we are seen as somehow subhuman or defective. In my case everyone I have ever met with CP has been more or less like me (with one notable exception in elementary school), very bright and capable but just having to deal with some sort of motion deficiency and having a unique set of challenges to living their life.

I am lucky in that I have been able to make a family for myself; my wife actually also has (mild) spastic quadriplegia and so my CP has not come between us and I think in fact has made our relationship stronger because it is another thing we have in common. When I am having a particularly bad day and am not able to get out of bed, I never worry wether she feels I am malingering my condition, and that's very nice. As a consequence, her parents are also very understanding of my needs and the challenges I face as a direct result of the CP. No one in my family ever says 'get over it' and that alone is a blessing.

She and I have a lovely 5 year old daughter, who was born with absolutely no defects of any sort, and growing up in our family has helped her to have a kind heart...about 4 months ago we were out and she noticed a young man, around 10-12, who was in a wheelchair. She asked me why he was in one and I mentioned that he may have CP like me and mommy, or possibly MS or another similar disorder, and that the wheelchair helped him to get around (this was prior to my situation degrading to the point I began to use one). She sagely nodded and said 'Well, at least if he gets tired, he is already sitting down!' I had to fight to keep from crying at the beauty of a child who is untainted by the stigma in the world. If more people saw things as she did, the world would be a much better place.

Reply Reply