HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cerebral Palsy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cerebral-palsy/)
-   -   Spastic CP and Positional Vertigo (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cerebral-palsy/931412-spastic-cp-positional-vertigo.html)

SaraDollMaker 12-11-2012 10:23 PM

Spastic CP and Positional Vertigo

Hi,

My name is Sara and I have spastic CP which I was born with. I was diagnosed with positional vertigo when I was 16. I'm 32 now. I just wondered if some of you other members could give me some advice. I am always cold in my feet and legs. The CP affects my motor skills and turns my feet inward as well as gives me trouble with balance, couple that with vertigo and I struggle with balance a lot. I wonder if my CP is the cause of my feet being cold and taking so long to warm up?

Also, I suffer with anxiety attacks, but I don't take anything for them yet. I am wondering if my CP is the cause of my anxiety? I have a bad startle reflex, I am consistantly jumpy.

I also have muscle spasms, but I am sensitive to medications so I wonder if there is anything I can do to help them without taking meds?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

yankeegirl 01-10-2013 12:27 AM

Re: Spastic CP and Positional Vertigo

double post

yankeegirl 01-10-2013 12:28 AM

Yes, I have recently been told by a doctor that being extremely hot and extremely cold are normal for CP. I have very cold (as in purple) feet and hands nearly all the time.

As for anxiety think of all the things that are currently making your nervous, and if a lot of them have to do with CP, you can blame it on that. If you are jumping at sudden noises more than other people around you are doing, that is called startle reflex which is common with CP. I hate being around regular balloons for this reason, in case they pop. I jump a mile.

I don't know about the spasms other than trying stretching, though how you do that depends on which muscles are affected. Honestly, though, I don't think that will help you for a long time. Definitely ask a doctor about this one.

Good luck to you.

whitesugar 01-14-2013 08:02 PM

Really??? That explains alot friend :) I jump So EASY! I hate Pilsbury cresent rolls, My family teases me, but its ok, its all in LOVE, they would feel so bad if they knew it was a side effect of CP, I will keep it a secret ;)........shhhh but still, so interesting, makes so much sense to me though, AND i'm always cold, and of course cold is our enemy :) spasticity is worse, pain is no good

Kitaz 01-15-2013 12:31 AM

I have a 8 year old child with CP. she startles a lot. And there are certain noise, like baby cry, would make her go crazy. She is a lot better now then when she was younger. But still more noticible when she is tired. Wear an ear phone may help, those big and noise canceling ear phone.

Bad blood circulation will cause the cold feet. Not sure if its because of the CP, because I myself gets cold feet all year round too, but having CP certainly doesn't help - wrong postures and not enough movement.
Soak your feet in hot water for 5, 10 minutes before bed; massage constantly; keep extra clothing or blanket; and add dates into your diet!
Hope this will help!

Kitaz 01-15-2013 12:37 AM

Oh as for muscle spasms, lots of stretching and keep your muscles warm- a microwaveable bean bag. Or surgery, muscle lengthening surgery. My daughter recently under went two surgeries in August. SDR and muscle lengthening. One to get rid of her spasticity, the other, to give her proper movement range.

whitesugar 01-15-2013 05:14 PM

Awwwh, Your sweet girl. I remember those days, lots of surgery's in the beginning. I pray that she is doing well.
Blessings