It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

mildlydifferent HB User
trouble staying relaxed

So first of all I was born with mild CP. It mainly effects my fine motor skills in my hands and my speech.

Anyways..The problem is I'm actually on a college Rowing team and in rowing, you have to follow the people in front of you, EXACTLY and in time. When in a race situation, I have trouble staying relaxed and in time. I get too overexcited, it's hard not to when I'm supposed to be racing as hard as possible. When Im relaxed, Im told Im a very good rower, and very strong. Sometimes I can do it, but most of the time I feel like I have trouble. My coaches, have taken to the approach to tell me to just stay in time and get my **** together, which is fair because they've seen me do it before. The problem is that i'm not very consistant and I think it might be more complex then 'just doing it'. So Im just trying to look for different answers..

I guess my question is how do you keep calm and in control when you get overexcited?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
(female)

KimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB UserKimmieDee10 HB User
Re: trouble staying relaxed

Every time I feel my body or my legs tensing up, I keep telling myself to "relax". I think of something that calms me and that usually takes me a few seconds to a minute. It could be anything like a song you like or think about a movie or television show that relaxes you... Anyway, that is what I do every time I tense up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply