It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
Question Chemotherapy and thyroid function?

My mother in law underwent a mastectomy and reconstruction for breast cancer in Sept. of 2002. She finished with chemo in January of 2003. She has just moved to a new state, and was seen by a new dr, he ran a full panel of bloodwork, and found her thyroid function to be hypo. She was not given her results, but told to immediatly start on .05 of synthroid. Since I've been dealing with my own thyroid issues she has called and asked me all sorts of Q's. Her Dr. of course hasn't returned any calls, and when she asked what the ramification of this were he told her if left untreated she could die from hypothyroidism. I was shocked that a Dr. would say this over the phone to a patient without any clarification. My questions for any of you are does chemo effect thyroid function? She is on Iremidex now for the breast cancer, does this effect the thyroid? She also takes Effexor, but wants to get off because she doesn't feel any depression now, or before she was put on it. She was told it would keep her from getting hot flashes as they took her off HRT. Has anyone heard of that??? She has none of the classic symptoms of hypo, and is very concerned about having to take yet another pill. Could the chemo have affected the pituatary gland causing this, or could this be thyroiditis caused by chemo? Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks, Aimee

Old 04-03-2003, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Angry

my only suggestion is that she get another doc (why are some so RUDE? ), and that you print these very detailed and competent questions and go with her, questions in hand, to yet another appt. with yet another doc ... i've heard of these docs, so cavalier with their diagnosis, and thank the lord they are few and far between ... aren't they?

to tell an already frightened woman who has survived a life-threatening disease that she could die of hypo, without at least saying how, is absurd and crude and unconscionable, and any medical system that would allow such doctors to join their crew is immoral ... isn't there some sort of board that you can complain to?

(of course this is akin to telling a drowning man to sit down and write a letter of complaint about the quality of the lifejackets -- you're too busy trying to save your mum's life to do it)

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 04-03-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread