It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2003, 05:52 AM   #1
(female)

mnemosyne HB User
Chemotherapy - Staying hydrated

My mom is on her second cycle of 6-8 cycles of taxol/carboplatin, and is having problems remaining hydrated. She isn't drinking enough water because it has a funny taste. Now that she's aware of the problem, she should be able to do better with staying hydrated, but I was wondering if anyone who has gone through chemotherapy has any strategies for dealing with that taste problem. Tea and juices also seem to taste funny, gatorade always tastes funny, etc. Mom's eating hard candy like there's no tomorrow, but it doesn't seem to help when she's drinking water. At this point, the only drink Mom has found that doesn't taste funny is coffee, which doesn't seem to be the healthiest choice, given the circumstances.

We picked up some pedialyte and pedialyte ice pops the other day. Any other suggestions, anyone?

Old 12-18-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Chemotherapy - Staying hydrated

First off, make sure she's drinking decaf coffee. There's still some cafeine in it, but not very much and the fluid will help.

Has she tried club soda? It might taste better than water because of the bubbles. Also, with water, you might try putting ice in it so it's very, very cold. Even if she can't drink a lot at one time, if she can manage one sip every few minutes, she'll get enough fluid.

If she gets seriously dehydrated, her doctor can give her fluids intravenously...in fact, they could probably give her some fluids when they give her chemotherapy, either immediately before or immediately after the chemo, while she's still got the IV in place.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2003, 08:26 AM   #3
(female)

mnemosyne HB User

Ruth,

Thank you! I'm going to pick up a variety of fancy decaf this weekend, and we'll try the club soda and icing the water down, as well. She should be able to manage little sips throughout the day. I appreciate the reply.

Old 12-19-2003, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne
Ruth,

Thank you! I'm going to pick up a variety of fancy decaf this weekend, and we'll try the club soda and icing the water down, as well. She should be able to manage little sips throughout the day. I appreciate the reply.
A lot of people don't know this, but hypoageusia (i.e. distortions in taste) are often due to zinc and or magnesium deficiencies. Have your mother take some zinc/magnesium supplements and this may help.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:05 PM   #5

futuresurvivor HB User

Has her dr. prescribed magic mouthwash for mouth sores? I discovered after using this that I could actually eat and drink sweet tea without the horrible taste. This miracle in a bottle numbs the mouth (and tastebuds). Ask her dr. about using it. I applied it with a cotton swab. Hope this helps. Don't give up trying to find what works for her. I would drink a gallon of tea everyday. My dr. didn't scold me either because you also need to drink plenty to help wash the chemo out of your body. It takes a little time but when chemo is over everything tastes great again. My prayers are with you and your Mom.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:09 AM   #6
(female)

mnemosyne HB User

Thank you both for your suggestions. I passed them on to mom, who is seeing her oncologist tomorrow. She's going to ask him about both the magic mouthwash and about taking a zinc or magnesium supplement!

Old 01-08-2004, 08:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

I too noticed a bad taste in liquids and some foods. I found I liked orange flavored liquids such as orange sport drinks and kool-aid. I also found the ice chips nauseating after a few rounds of chemo and sucked on orange popsicles instead(grape was OK too) As a matter of fact even now, 2 years later I will put no more than one or two ice cubes in my drinks and I prefer no ice, just a refrigerated drink.

Closed Thread