It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 11:06 AM   #1

janbaker HB User
Post Chemotherapy Hair Care

Can you help me? Two years ago, I lost my hair after undergoing six months of strenuous chemo. After a few months, the hair grew back with its normal thin texture. I would like to get a permanent (body) wave. Based on your own experience or professionalism, can someone tell me if this would be possible? I contacted my medical team and the Cancer Society, who advised me that no research has been done on this subject. I would greatly appreciate your time and advice.

Thank you,
Jan Baker
janbakeryoga@att.net

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lindao1 HB User
Re: Post Chemotherapy Hair Care

Hi Jan!

Sorry no one has responded to your questions! First let me say, what a trooper you are to have come thru the chemo. I worked in the medical profession for years and dealt with cancer patients on a day to day basis, so I have seen the struggles first hand.

I wish I were a professional hair stylist but alas, I'm not. But I have had to deal with fine, thin hair (family trait!) my entire life so I can relate to you on that aspect. Several years ago, I was perming my fine, thin hair even though I knew it wasn't the greatest thing to do to my hair. I was fortunate to have a great hair stylist that knew how to work with my hair. But after awhile I quit perming it and instead got highlites to give my hair some body. It does help. Perhaps you could first try volumizing products or thickening products before deciding to perm. Or maybe even highlights for body. I've been reading on the other board about how great Rogaine for Women is for fine, thin hair. I haven't tried it yet, but I may go that route soon. Unfortunately, once you start using it you have to continue using it forever, at least that's whats been said. That's why I've been hesitant about using it. It ain't cheap either!

Anyway, Jan, I know how frustrating thin, fine hair can be. I hope maybe some of the other girls that have experience will see your post and can help you out more. When I had the perms, my hair was much easier to manage, but the damage after time was just too much for me to keep it up. I just didn't have hair to lose! LOL! Good luck if you decide to try a perm. Find a knowledgeable hairstylist who knows how to deal with your type of hair. Maybe perms are better now than they used to be. Take care and I'm so glad your chemo is over. Congratulations for getting thru it! Linda

I have to admit that my hair is in much better shape since I stopped perming it. The perms do damage, but so do highlights, but the perms seem to be worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2004, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran

producttramp HB User
Re: Post Chemotherapy Hair Care

1st off- God bless you sweetie on getting thru that chemo.

I dont have experience with post chemo patients but do know that on fine thin hair, a body wave can make a big difference but so can highlights done with color, both add texture to the hair.
Have you tried any of the volumizing products by Matrix called AMP? They really fatten up the hair. It actually swells the shaft of the hair. My sister inlaws have super thin fine hair and they really love this stuff.
A good cut esp. one w/ a razor/layers can give great illusion of thicker hair.
Wishing you good health.

Closed Thread