It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
(female)

Harleysmom HB User
Chemotherapy question

Hi folks. We're trying to help my 84 year old Mom decide what kind of treatment to choose. She had a colon tumor removed, with no sign of spreading to the lymph nodes or liver. However, they said the cancer is through the wall of the colon. She needs chemo and the choices are: Capecitabine by mouth, or Oxaliplatin intravenously. We will be asking the oncologist many more questions, but, with a heart problem, we wondered which route would be easier on her. Also, she is at MD Anderson, and I know they have experimental drugs there that I wonder if we should ask about. If anyone has any opinions on any of this, we'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #2

Location: Northern Wisconsin right on the WI. MI. border in a little town called Land O Lakes.
rockmon HB User
Re: Chemotherapy question

I don't know if they will give her anything experimental or not on her first round and as far as which might be easier on her it would for sure be capecitabine by mouth as apposed to being hooked up to iv's for at least 4 hours at a crack and sometimes longer but the oncologist would be the one to tell you whats best. I know if I have to do it again I'm going to beg them for the oral treatments instead of i.v. Best of luck to your mother and of course you also.

Last edited by rockmon; 01-04-2005 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Miss spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmon
I don't know if they will give her anything experimental or not on her first round and as far as which might be easier on her it would for sure be capecitabine by mouth as apposed to being hooked up to iv's for at least 4 hours at a crack and sometimes longer but the oncologist would be the one to tell you whats best. I know if I have to do it again I'm going to beg them for the oral treatments instead of i.v. Best of luck to your mother and of course you also.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

I am doing chemo iv. When I mentioned to the chemo nurses that I heard some of the drugs for colon cancer can also be given by pill, they said the side effects of the pills are worse than the iv. I would go by what the doctor says. They have had experience with the different forms of chemo.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #5

pgta5 HB User

I know that when my father was deciding on whether to receive chemo and which drug to use we talked to the oncologists not only about side effects but also about increase rate of survival with each drug. Some chemo drugs are easier to tolerate but give only an absolute increase of 1-2%. Wheras Oxaliplatin, for example can have an absolute increase of 7-12% (or so we were told). I guess you have to weigh the possible side effects with the outcome. Good luck to you in deciding. It is not an easy choice to make.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi there

Husband had oxaliplatin/5fu/folonic acid by i.v.
The i.v. port can be a lot of hassle and some not so young sufferers cannot tolerate having the port inserted due to state of veins.
His side effects were numbness in hands and throat along with increased sensitiveness to cold, severe nausea and diarhea (although this was reduced to tolerable level with drugs including steroids). His hair went a bit thinner but did not fall out and his beard grew twice as fast !!!!!

My mum had xeloda orally. She was 78 with a host of other health probs including chronic lung desease and heart desease. Her only side effects were blood blisters on her hands which was very unusual and a little alarming. They did not cause her any pain at all and may have been linked to the blood thinning drug she had to take (for the heart problem) or a blood disorder which runs in the family.

Both their treatments were effective in reducing the size of liver tumors.

Hope the above is of help to you
ktee

Closed Thread