It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 02:16 AM   #1
(male)

MarcosP HB User
"light" chemotherapy - does it make sense ?

My dad has stage IV NSCLC, spread to the bones. He's very thin (but he's always been like this), can't walk anymore and recently started having breathing issues, but otherwise always had good health. His oncologist is now suggesting that he has three chemotherapy sessions, whose goal would be only to relieve the pain and symptoms, since it's no longer possible to revert the tumors. However, my dad is really scared that it will only increase his suffering, and since he's already in a very bad mood I'm upset about insisting that he goes. On the other hand, if he doesn't do the chemo the situation will surely get worse ... so has anyone gone through a similar situation ? The doctor has assured me that it will be a "light" chemotherapy, but I'm not sure if such thing makes sense at this stage ...

So, anyone has gone through a similar process ? Do you think it's still worth trying chemo at this stage ? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Old 05-18-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
(male)

J.D. HB User
Re: "light" chemotherapy - does it make sense ?

Chemo is tough and can take an emotional toll on the patient as well as physical. My mother had a really hard time with chemo, and sometimes its just better to let nature take its course. If it were me, I would opt not to do it. Good luck and God bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
(male)

sportzjunkee25 HB User
Re: "light" chemotherapy - does it make sense ?

I agree with JD here....my mom had the lowest form of chemo avalilable....(Gemzar) single agent very few side effects...and she struggled with it tremendously.....The chemo just tends to wear people out.....it's just my opinion but her quality of life was much better without the chemo,,, take care and stay strong

Closed Thread