It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
(female)

Redchez200 HB User
Coping with Chemotherapy

Hi All

It's now been five weeks since my Dad started his chemotherapy - and he is doing o.k.

He didn't really cope very well mentally for the first few weeks, he was so negative about everything but now a district nurse comes to visit him every week and he seems in much better spirits.

He hasn't lost his appetite but he is very tired (though he is still manging to get out and about in the car) and he says everything tastes funny. He also has very pale skin - apparantly this is common.

We think he is going to lose his hair or at least go thin, as the past couple of days we have noticed a lot of hair on the back of his jumper.

The only other side effect he is having is that his red cell count is very low, so he had to skip a session of chemo last week. They allow for this, as they say it always happens so this won't extend his treatment.

Other than that we are all coping well. We have a new kitten running around at home, which is cheering everyone up. As well as everything that happened last year, we also had to put our 12 year old cat to sleep in November as he had developed a blood clot which paralysed his back and back paws. Everything was looking very bleak at the end of 2005, but now we only have 3 months more of chemo and things seem to be looking a bit more positive.

Darlene - how is your Mam doing? Stage one is excellent. I hope she escapes the chemotherapy.

I hope everyone else is o.k too.

Cheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
(female)

daddysgirl135 HB User
Re: Coping with Chemotherapy

Hi Cheryl.

My dad didn't lose his hair immediately. He noticed it falling off his body first. When his head hair started to go, he had my mom shave his head. He looks quite handsome as a bald guy.

My dad didn't lose much weight due to chemo either and always kept his appitite. The only thing that slowed him down was the sores that developed in his mouth as a result of chemo.

He also missed a round of chemo because of his blood count. He started receiving Procrit shots which seemed to help. Has your dad's doctor mentioned that at all?

Anyway, just wanted to tell you I've been there, and I pray for the best for your dad and family.

Last edited by daddysgirl135; 02-07-2006 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-12-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
(female)

Darlene-CA HB User
Re: Coping with Chemotherapy

Hello...it's been a while since I have posted here, although I visit here daily to pursue even the smallest bit of inspiration (which I usually do)! Everyone here had at one time felt the same feelings, yet always there with something nice to offer. An update on my Mom....(Redchez, thanks for asking) She is almost at the 2 month mark of her surgery. It has been such a rough road, physically she is feeling better, although she says her ribs are still sore. We wonder what the heck they did! She has also been depressed My Mom is usually on the upbeat of things, but this has taken a toll on her emotionally. She says she often dreams about this experience and the dreams leave her feeling awake and uneasy. Maybe it's the pain medication?? She has so much to be happy for, .....She was staged at 1b. The doctors say follow up with Chemo and/or radiation is not indicated nor recommended. At this point, physically I'm not sure she could handle anything else anyway. Physically and emotionally I think it would tear her up. We will follow the Doctors recommendation, which is follow up scans every 3 months for one year, then 6 month scans. I believe strongly in the power of prayer. God has been with us from the very first abnormal x-ray, her diagnosis of stage 1b was a miracle, as getting that diagnosis was a long road in itself. This has made me appreciate the little things.....the little everyday things that are such a chore to handle on a day to day basis. When faced with a crisis, something horrible, that is constantly on your mind, I don't know about you all, but I can hardly function at times!!! It feels nice to have a promising hope for the future. My wish is that everyone here would have the same hope. Although I know that just isn't the case. My heart goes out to everyone here suffering and watching those we care about suffer. I ended my very first post with this from the Bible.....maybe it will bring peace, if even for a moment to someone in need right now....."Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God" Philippians 4:6

Closed Thread