It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
(male)

VPatient HB User
Questions on Chemotherapy and Colon Cancer

Hi everyone,
I am new at this forum, but I hope you can help me answer some of my worries.
My wife (29 yo) has colon cancer and she had 1/2 of her colon removed. The surgery went well and now she is recovering from it. We just saw the ontologist last week. He said she is in stage 3C as it has spread to over 4 lymph nodes but not to other parts. The doctor ordered 6 months of chemo (1 time every two weeks). We will start chemo in a few weeks.

I looked at the survival rate for colon cancer and was frightened to the fact that stage 3C only have 44% survival rate.
Coming to my questions:
1. Anyone know why is the percentage so low?
2. Has anyone have the same type of cancer/chemo? and how was it? What are the side effects?

Any info greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.

The following user gives a hug of support to VPatient:
ctaylor30 (04-12-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to VPatient For This Useful Post:
ctaylor30 (04-12-2011)
Old 12-03-2006, 06:48 AM   #2
(female)

bmccrea HB User
Re: Questions on Chemotherapy and Colon Cancer

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your wife's diagnosis. I too was a 3C. 7 out of 18 lymph nodes affected. My surgery was in April and I started Folfox in May. I am so blessed to not have the side effects that some people have. I was cautioned that diarrhea was the main side effect, but I have to eat raw foods and take laxatives to "go". Treatment number one was my roughest treatment. I did have 5 days of diarrhea. I hardly ever have nausea, but if your wife does have it, there are lots of things the docs give to counteract that. I wear a pump for 46 hours and it shoots the 5FU in at intervals. The pump makes a little whirring sound. I usually don't sleep much when I have that. My doc told me that with chemo I would have a 60% chance of surviving 5 years. I have an appointment with my doc tomorrow (Monday). I'm concerned about some of my bloodwork. When your wife has her next appointment, write down every question and concern you have. Go with her also so both of you can hear the answers, in case one forgets.
God bless you both as you take this journey

Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
(male)

VPatient HB User

THank you Barbara for your response. I will. I was doing research online last night after I posted the thread. I found that with chemo, the survival rate is 65%. We will meet with the nurse this tuesday and we will make sure to ask all questions like what types of drugs and what are her options. You said you have concerned with your blood work, what was it?
God Bless you too and keep us informed of your progress.

thank you.
VPatient

Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

I forget who said it but keep this quote in mind.

"There are lies, damn lies and statistics!"

Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
(male)

dath HB User

Keep in mind that the statisitics quoted are usually based on old protocols. There have been several new drugs introduced the past 3 years. Don't dwell on the statistics, because they cannot predict what will happen in the future with new drugs.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your wife but would like to support the previous responses. Try not to take notice of statistics. We are all individuals and there is no way of knowing our survival rates. Take each day as it comes. Make each and every day special.

To encourage you, my husband was dx Stage 111C rectal cancer over three years ago and is doing well today. He had 8 months of chemotherapy during which time he also received 5 weeks of radiotherapy. His chemo was extended over a slightly longer period as he had complications. His chemo was not the latest that is now available and yet he responded well. He works full time with few side effects from the cancer and treatment.

Let us know what type of chemo your wife will be having and we will be able to advise on possible side effects, keeping in mind that everyone responds differently. Hopefully, your wife will sail through it with few if any side effects.

Love and prayers,

Old 12-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #7
(male)

VPatient HB User

Thanks very much for your replies and supports. It makes me feel so much better to see others have gone through the same thing and survived to tell the story. Now I am more confident that she will be ok.
Today we just came back from the "teaching session". The nurse said she will take 5-fu, leucovorin, and folfox for six months (2 times a month). she will have to wear a port on her for the injections. She is fine now, but inside her I have no idea what's going on in there. She lost some weight and looks a little pale. Beside that she is fine and healing well from her surgery. She had a good bit of her colon taken out. and 12 out of 29 were affected. Also I have read online alot about some herbs that can help you during chemo, one of them is the essaic herbs or the Flor-essence. the other is a chinese mushroom called Reishi. Anyone has tried them?

Thanks again.

Last edited by VPatient; 12-05-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I am sure you will get some responses to your question about herbs and other treatments. I cannot help there but I would advise you to always consult with the oncologist about taking any other treatment when on chemotherapy. Some can actually interfere with the effectiveness of the chemotherapy. I hope everything goes well.

Love and prayers,

Old 12-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

V, I agree with Alison. Your wife should not take anything without checking with the oncologist. I also was diagnosed with stage 3 in July, 2004. I had the same chemo. Don't be surprised if it takes longer than 6 months to complete chemo. They will check your wife's blood levels before each chemo treatment. If her blood is "low" they will postpone treatment for a week or two. There are shots they can give to build up her white or red counts quicker. It can be discouraging at the time, but she will complete her treatments. Your wife will be glad she has the port. I remember seeing people trying to get chemo in their veins-it was not always pretty. If you have any questions please ask. There are many of us who have been through this. As my wife's cousin who had been through chemo about 5 years before me, kept telling me-"there is life after chemo," and it's true. My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your wife.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
(female)

Anders HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your wife and hope that she is feeling better soon. I wanted to add that I was diagnosed 2 1/2 yrs ago with stage 3 rectal cancer (6/13 positive). I was on the same chemo regiment that your wife will be starting soon. Some recommendations:

Have her drink plenty of liquids a day or two before the start of each chemo treatment, to prevent dehydration.

Try to eat health when she can, but when on chemo, I found keeping a small amount of food in my stomach kept nausea at bay, thus snack alot verses 3 meal a day.

As others have said, don't take any medicine, herbs, etc without her doctor's knowledge.

Think of these treatments as week on, week off. When week on, plan on taking it easy. During week off, should be able to resume normal activity.

Good luck, god bless to you and your wife,

Lee

Old 12-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
(male)

VPatient HB User

Thank you all again for reading my thread and sharing your experience and support with me. The purpose of my posting now is to keep those interested informed and maybe also learn from our experience. I hope all of you who go through the same experience will find confort and reassurance with sucess stories. Our story is not over yet. But We had one good new: my wife had a PET scan last Friday and all looks good.
No sign of any abnormal activities. It was a bit relief. She had her port implanted today. I was worried about that too, but she is fine now. she is to be administered her first dose of chemo this wednesday. My worries start again.

One thing I want to share with you is that I have done alot of reading online as well, I am sure all of you do the same. Many people asked questions that I myself ask: IS CHEMO GOOD for you. THought some web sites I found completely denounce Chemo. the majority of others support chemo.
With all the personal testimonies here, and specially from you lee, I am therefore supporting it as well.
I read that chemo bo0sts survival rate to 64%.
However the side effects are no less than HORRIFIC.
My wife has taken reshi mushroom with the ok of our doctor. She has read that it would help her with those side effect. I will let you know how effective they really are.

I would like to know any of you out there who had chemo and still able to have children. As I mentioned, we are still a young couple and were planning to have another child. But with this, I fear it is out of the question....
please let us know.

thank you.
VPatient

Old 12-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User
Re: Please bring your attention to the posting rules.

V, everyone reponds differently to chemo. For your own good, please try not to assume it will be horrible. When I was starting, I told my onc that I expected to be sick for the next 6 months. He told me not to even think that way-look at it as a disruption in your life. Yes, your wife will be tired. She will most likely lose her sense of taste (at least to some foods). She may not have much of an appetite, but life will go on. Just take it one day at a time. Tell her not to push herself. If she is tired, rest. If she wants to be active, all the better. She needs to listen to her body. As my cousin who went through chemo before me kept saying-there is life after chemo.
By the way, that first chemo is terrifying. When they come at you with that needle it is a real moment of fear. I remember sitting there waiting to be sick. All that happened is that all that liquid being pumped into me made me go to the bathroom alot. Bring books, magazines, videos, etc. After awhile it gets boring sitting there. Best of luck to both of you.

Last edited by edinaman; 12-15-2006 at 07:48 PM.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:27 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

The port is a good way to avoid having to be 'stuck' every time. I opted to not have the port installed though. The nurses at the hospital I was at for almost all of my chemo were fantastic at finding a vein and inserting the needle all but painlessly. I know it was not just me because at the other hospital I had to go to for a few weeks they were not nearly as good and it did hurt more.

The port has some drawbacks, mostly concerning keeping the area clean and dry. This is more of a problem if you like to go swimming. I personally did not like the idea of the port staying attached to and inside of me but that is my own bugaboo.

Those who had a port installed swear by it though as making life with chemo so much more comfortable.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
(male)

VPatient HB User
Re: Please bring your attention to the posting rules.

Thanks editnaman. your words are very reassuring to us. I will share that with her and tell her to go one day at a time and that life continues on.. 6 months seems such a long time.

I did some study online last night also and found some really frightening sites talking about the toxicity of 5-FU for some patient with low DPD and that if you have such deficiency, you are most likely to become terminally ill once getting 5-Fu. hence I will contact my onc to see if we need to check on that.

Her regiment is 5-FU/ Oxaliplatin/leucovorin. I assume you all have the same thing?

Last edited by moderator2; 12-16-2006 at 12:00 PM.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #15
(male)

VPatient HB User

We felt the same but my boss's wife had chemo too (breast cancer) and he said she had a tough time in the begining and was very happy to have the port put in. That's why we went for it. Right now she seems to be fine, walking and talking like ususal, the port does not bother her that much.

Closed Thread