It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
(male)

Hardy09 HB User
Chemotherapy and Antioxidants Study

The May, 2007 issue of Cancer Treatment Reviews reports the results of an analysis of 19 studies involving chemotherapy and antioxidants. All the studies were double-blind and had control groups. The lead author was Keith Block, from the Institute for Integrative Cancer Research and Education and the University of Illinois. The study concluded that antioxidant supplements may help increase survival rates, tumour response, and a patient's ability to tolerate chemotherapy. I think this is interesting, since probably a majority of doctors would advise their patients not to take antioxidants during chemotherapy. Maybe this study will cause them to re-examine the issue. The study concluded that antioxidants often actually help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User
Re: Chemotherapy and Antioxidants Study

I'm hoping that the study will help Patients understand the importance of antioxidants during conventional treatment and take antioxidants regardless of the Doctors opinion especially those in very late stages. Again, its the patient that has to re-examine the issue and be very proactive especially since the cure rate for cancer patients using Conventional Medicine is so low.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi
Just ran across this post by accident. Was astually looking for info on some supplements someone has recommended to me.
I find this very interesting, as my doctor did advise against taking any antioxidants while I am on chemo. I've pretty much decided that if they can't cure the cancer I have then I am going to do whatever I can to boost my own immune system to fight this disease.
I just hope I can find that issue you are talking about! I have to read that!
Thank You
Hellas

Old 05-10-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

Doctors do exist that treat cancer patients using detoxification, diet such as microbiotic, supplements and other non traditional treatments. I know of a woman who used these methods and is cancer free since 1996. I've read many testimonials from cancer patients who are now cancer free who used non conventional treatments including a Woman Doctor who had advanced breast cancer. A study was done which asked Oncologists if they would take Chemo if they had cancer and 75% said No. I was surprised that it wasn't wasn't higher.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Mike,
I guess there isn't a directory of these doctors anywhere is there? Not that it could be posted here anyway.
I just never did get the concept that antioxidants were "bad" for someone battling cancer. Just doesn't make sense to me.
I did find the articles from that issue also. Interesting.
Hellas

Closed Thread