It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
(female)

nicholejasch HB User
Help Questions about chemotherapy for breast cancer?

I was wondering if someone can give me some more info on what to expect from kemotherapy? I go to my final appointment this Friday to get all the details as to when I start and what method they will take. She said most likely I will get 6 treatments total going once every 3 weeks. I know everyones body reacts differently to the medicine and the side effects, but I wanted to get some personal experiences that any woman have gone through now or in the past. I am getting nervous becasue I dont want to be sick all the time and I obviously dont want to loose all my hair. I am 25 years old and this is all so sudden, I dont know what to expect or think. Someone told me you actually loose all your hair on your body sometimes which is even scarier. I was wondering at what point does it start falling out and do you always loose all of it or is is possible to not loose your hair? I just want this to be over with and go back to a normal healthy young life that I once had. I want to know what to expect even if its unpleasant things any info on your experince would be apprecitated.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
(female)

JOJO39 HB User
Re: Help Questions about Kemo for breast cancer?

Hi,
So sorry to hear you are going through this at such a young age. But stay positive, you will be ok. I had A/C 4 treatments and taxol for 4 treatments. Every other week. They give you anti-nausea meds so I never got sick. Some of the meds have side effects. I also got chemo on Friday, then by Monday I didn't feel so great. That would usually last a few days. Then the next week I felt good. I did work through the whole thing but took some bad days off. Around day 15 my hair started falling out. I never lost my eyebrows or eyelashes until chemo was all over, but they grew back fast. I did lose my underarm hair and leg hair also. But actually on the bright side, taking a shower was so quick. Chemo ended in August and all my hair is back now. So back to shaving again. I got a lot of heartburn from the anti nausea meds, bone pain from the nuelasta shot. My head was so foggy, I never lost my appetite though. Any questions you have please ask. There are so many nice people on this board. Stay strong, my prayers are with you.
JoJo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
(female)

nicholejasch HB User

I appreciate all your info. Glad to hear kemo is over for you. This has been such a crazy 30 days with all the tests, and everything else, I am like wow this is only going to get worse before it gets better. I am going to stay strong and not let this beat me. I just want to feel normal through this process and I dont want people to look at me like im sick and different. I do have a lot of support so thats a good thing. Did you cut your hair beforehand. They keep telling me to do that so I dont get shocked with it all falling out. My hair is long and thick and I dont want to sound like thats my only worry but I am really nervous to loose it all. Any suggestions on how to cope better with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJO39 View Post
Hi,
So sorry to hear you are going through this at such a young age. But stay positive, you will be ok. I had A/C 4 treatments and taxol for 4 treatments. Every other week. They give you anti-nausea meds so I never got sick. Some of the meds have side effects. I also got chemo on Friday, then by Monday I didn't feel so great. That would usually last a few days. Then the next week I felt good. I did work through the whole thing but took some bad days off. Around day 15 my hair started falling out. I never lost my eyebrows or eyelashes until chemo was all over, but they grew back fast. I did lose my underarm hair and leg hair also. But actually on the bright side, taking a shower was so quick. Chemo ended in August and all my hair is back now. So back to shaving again. I got a lot of heartburn from the anti nausea meds, bone pain from the nuelasta shot. My head was so foggy, I never lost my appetite though. Any questions you have please ask. There are so many nice people on this board. Stay strong, my prayers are with you.
JoJo

Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
(female)

JOJO39 HB User

Hi,
Try to really focus, keep a stong mind, don't let this get you down. It is hard but you can do it. Your mind is so powerful. When I starting touching my hair and it was coming out it really bothered me. I hated that. I was suppose to go to a hair replacement place on a Tuesday, they "pull your hair out" which really comes out easy, then shave the rest. They then put your wig on, which I went earlier to pick out, so you walk in with your hair and leave with theirs. I could not wait until Tuesday, so the Friday before I went there, my hair was not coming out to easy so I had it shaved then had my wig put on. That made me feel better to get it over with, I knew it was going to all come out so I wanted it done. My wig is real hair, and some people could never tell I was wearing it. I am still wearing it now because my own hair is just like a boys crew cut. But is it growing and it is really dark brown. I had long brown hair before. Sometimes in the summer I wore bandanas, but mostly always my wig.
Having a big support group is awesome, I had so many friends and family that helped. I have 3 kids and divorced. So it was me and the kids. Friends cooked us dinner the week of chemo, so every other week we got dinner monday through friday. You really find out who your friends are. Everyone was so awesome, If anyone wants to do something for you, let them. There will be days you will be down, and exhausted, but you will bounce right back, you can do this you are young. It will go fast, and you will get through it with flying colors. Have you had surgery? Do you know what kind of chemo you are getting. Keep me posted and take care. I will send good throughts your way.
JoJo

Old 12-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
(female)

nicholejasch HB User

Thank you for that jojo I really needed to hear that at this exact time. I had a minor surgery last thursday and they tested 2 lymph nodes that I found out today came back positive which really scared me. My mind started freaking today and I was like ok why one thing after another why why why? I dont know what kemo they are giving me yet, but friday I should find out. I am trying to stay so strong, but I am so lost right now at the same time. I dont think I really know whats going on like I am goign to wake up and this was all just a dream, but its not, and I need to realize this and deal with it. I get this really erie feeling like if this didnt happen to me, I would have done something more damaging to myself. I guess thats what lifes about a growing and learning process. I want to share a poem with you that I ended up randomly taking out of the bathroom from the breast cancer center before while I was still going through all the tests to see what this lump was. It just kind of caught my eye and now its up at my desk here at work. It's called:~ Life's Worth~

As I look back upon the years, the time ive spent on earth. I recall both joy and tears and evaluate lifes worth.

Did I serve god along the way and help my fellow man or did I think of only myself and fail to understand?

If I pass through this way but once, accepting all lifes gifts, then I must also do my share to show my thanks for his.

This poem touched me and really made me think and apprectiate so many more things and I keep learning more and more about myself every day. Someday this will all make sense. lots of love Nichole

Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
(female)

JOJO39 HB User

Hi Nichole,
I understand what you are feeling, I am so sorry this had to happen to you, I know it stinks. I always said "it is what it is and there is nothing I can do" I also had 4 positive lymph nodes. I honestly don't know "why", I think of that sometimes.
When you go on Friday, try to bring someone with you and bring paper to take notes.
I hear you - about feeling like it is a dream. You know it really changes your life. People realize they really don't have problems until something like this happens.
I know you will get through fine, chemo has changed so much over the years, Everyone is different but they give you so many drugs so you don't get sick. Everyone you finish is closer to the end. I will say a prayer for you, and please keep me posted on everything.
I loved that poem, it really touched me. I am going to copy it. Try to have a good day tomorrow, Friday is almost here. Think of something happy.
Love and hugs,
JoJo

Closed Thread