It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

dimarebo HB User
do I have to shave my head after chemotherapy?

do I have to shave my head after chimiotherapy?
My hair is growing back after treatments and I been told to shave it, so healthy hair can grow.It's that true?

Last edited by dimarebo; 02-21-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User
Re: do I have to shave my head after chimiotherapy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimarebo View Post
do I have to shave my head after chimiotherapy?
My hair is growing back after treatments and I been told to shave it, so healthy hair can grow.It's that true?
..i have never heard that...i have heard people shaving while they were losing as they would rather have nothing than some...and it was more comfortable under a wig or turban....My mom lost all of her hair during breast cancer chemo.....never shaved her head...and it came back great...still w/o grays....C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

daughter issues HB User

I've never heard of that either. I know people who have shaved their heads during their treatment because it was coming out in clumps and they'd rather have no hair than little blotches of it.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
(female)

dimarebo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetheart View Post
I've never heard of that either. I know people who have shaved their heads during their treatment because it was coming out in clumps and they'd rather have no hair than little blotches of it.
Thank you for your replay. This makes me very happy because I didn't wanted to have to shave. Finally I have some hair, and it would be sad to shave it all off.
I have had different opinions about it, but I'm going to go with " no shaving"
Thank you

Old 02-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

My mom lost all her hair with her first chemo and no she never shaved her hair and it grew in so soft and curly. She always had straight hair but wanted curly so I guess the cancer gave her that much for about a year then the 4th line chemo took most of her hair once again so she died with just a few tufts left. It usually is so soft when it first starts growing in that you just want to touch it all the time! JanMarie

Old 02-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
(female)

dimarebo HB User

Sorry to hear that your mom died.
My hair is starting to grow and it's very soft, as you said.When I don't have my wig on, I'm always touching it.
Loosing my hair was very hard for me, so I'm very exited to see it's caming back.
Thank you for your replay

Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

daughter issues HB User
Re: do I have to shave my head after chemotherapy?

Oh Janmarie, I know exactly what you mean. I was always touching my Mom's hair when it was growing back. So soft, it reminded me of a baby's hair. It used to drive my Mom crazy because I'd come in and rub her head just to feel the hair Like your Mom, mine died with tufts.

I think for a woman to lose her hair it's especially hard because of the vanity involved in it. I know my Mom had a hard time dealing with it and would "hide" under a wig or a chemo cap.

Dimarebo, don't be afraid to show off your new hair. It's a sign that you've gone through something horrible and are living to talk about it. Granted, you have to be careful of the sun, or this time of year the cold, but wear it with pride Bald is Beautiful!

Closed Thread